ETA when L5 can be used like a mobile phone?

So… if dialing isn’t working as described at https://docs.puri.sm/Librem_5/Calls.html then you should file a support ticket. This thread isn’t constructive.

4 Likes

I can’t help you with the calling, but might be able to help with this point. Soon after receiving my L5, I tried to execute a command that needed sudo. I entered the default password 123456 and it didn’t work. Then I changed the password and tried again with the new one and it has worked since then.

1 Like

I’m going to put in a claim to that title. I’ll be 74 in May. And I find capacitative touchscreens very annoying, although I can still thread a needle (meaning that hand-eye coordination is still functional). When I have to make accurate input into the device, I use a very nice folding bluetooth keyboard (my wife’s comment: “Isn’t it darling?”).

I still don’t understand what was so terrible about having to poke a stick at a resistive touchscreen, something that has gone completely out of fashion. It could be done with great accuracy in fine detail.

5 Likes

Yes, even Prestigio Click&Touch 2 might work fine with the Librem 5 (but only when/if SHIFTkeys non-available).

Resistive touch screens did not support multiple touch points for a longer while. From my experience using one, the flex of the case makes it glitch, so it’s less reliable too, and in a way that is not obvious, unlike “wipe your hands”.

For a more insidious guess, I think the fact that resistive screens need to be elastic while capacitive can be shiny glass contributes to the beauty perception which actually sells devices.

One thing leads to the other, and I don’t think there’s nearly so much selectin in capacitive now either.

2 Likes

I don’t know what kind of touchscreen this is, but it needs some kind of tweaking intervention.

(1) If I just move a finger over, not on, a shortcut, it loads the shortcut item.

(2) Tap works, most of the time. Sometimes I tap, tap tap, tap, and maybe, it will respond. I swipe up a few times to close it.

(3) If phone is flat on table and I tap, say Geary, the search box opens.

(4) It’s hard to get out of the search box. Tapping that small [x] at the end only seems to understand my 5th cuss word at it before it closes.

Just some things the quality control people might add to their testing.
~s

I find the password to enter for sudo is not 123456, but your own password you set up during first install. Are you able to open Terminal app?

As a complete By the Way.
When I initially got the Librem 5 I connected to my Home Network using a ‘bonelk’ hub and Ethernet cable port.
At that time I had no SIM card installed.
The Librem 5 software immediately and without my control updated itself.
Perhaps this process can help others who cannot get their Librem 5 working.

Agreed.
I never use that search box and when accidentally touched it, it is very hard to get out off it.
For me, it occupies unnecessary space.

Question at the developers:
Isn’t it possible to have a user setting (hide/show the search box) for the search box at the main screen?
Would be great if this could be added in the settings app.

Yes, that’s what I said. Sudo did not work for 123456 but did work after I changed the password and used the new one.

That’s not supposed to happen… Every update I’ve ever seen required user confirmation.

1 Like

True. Updates require user confirmation. I meant the very first time I connected the Librem to the home network and before I configured anything, I was quite surprised the update happened. Maybe I did confirm the accept but not as I remember.

1 Like