ETA when L5 can be used like a mobile phone?

I tried using the phone. But dialing a number is short one thing; a way to tell it to start dialing! More searching and eventually trudging through a novels I found the following:

Blockquote “granular Mobile Settings are inaccessible” (https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Tips-&-Tricks#calls). But a lot of that is old. Catch22.

S

You use the Calls application to make calls.

Green telephone handset icon that is at top left of all application icons in the above pic.

2 Likes

That’s not funny. Not even a slight chuckle.

Can anyone answer the question. I mean, given ETA of just when, or if, “granular Mobile Settings” will be available? Just because there is Icon Irvine, doesn’t mean it does anything.

p.s. Duh, I have already a carrier, a phone number and switches are all on! All I need now, is a PHONE!

1 Like

It wasn’t an attempt at humour. It was just a misunderstanding because I can’t see exactly what is happening on your phone.

To answer the question in the title: I received my phone a little over 2 years ago and it was able to be used as a phone (i.e. make calls) from the very first day (I moved the SIM over from my existing iPhone). It wasn’t a perfect phone then and it isn’t a perfect phone now still, but make calls it can.

As perhaps you are suggesting elsewhere, time to put the phone to one side for now, go do something more enjoyable, and come back to it when you are re-energised.

2 Likes

I guess in one year the Librem 5 could get out of the unstable to stable and be a PPP Professional Purism Phone. I have a Librem 5 and i NOT using ATM because it is unstable, the good thing is that L5 has lot juice to be stable on general, just we need wait and beers with Purism because low money to speed up L5 development.
The bad news is that Martin kepplinger seems very relax from 7 moth ago, he just is maintenance the LNX so it is not improving, programming. I just saying.

2 Likes

The “title” is right out of the wiki I arrived by following a suggested link right off the WiKi and I quoted the WikI in the OP. Maybe you should read that instead something into the title.

I can’t afford to get “re-energised” [sic]. I know it’s hobbyist toy, but it should do something other than cost a lot and blink lights.

It’s doesn’t do squat. Does NOT make calls. It won’t allow anything to be entered into the password required when Sudo’ing.I can’t send a screen cap and video if I am not allowed to enter the password???

It’s very difficult browsing screens on that -thing- when it’s constantly cycling though several shades, normal, darker darker darker and darker still. until I get out of that, back to setting set the light to middle and as fast as possible get back to terminal and run the commands that I was told to do. Can’t be down. Why, because I’m not allowed to enter the password.

Believe you me - this is the very last place I go to get help.

Now, the title asked when it would be available because in the WiKi read what I quoted back twice for you or look it up in the Wki It did not ask anyone about their device.

Walking away from the problem is not going fix any -THING-.It will still be there, and I’ll just have dig up the same questions and get told to walk away from it. Let’s just get it fixed. I gather support@puri.sm isn’t available? I didn’t even get the cursory response that it was received.

I am so happy for you and your . . . device. Your point is that it worked. There are lemons, bugs happen, software goes sideways, but come on EVERYTHING?

How difficult, and where do I go to get either (A) a full refund, or (B) a working phone that works and not wait 1 -2 years? I need to be prepared in the event this won’t cooperate any more than it has.

s

1 Like

Turn off “Automatic Brightness” in the piwer settings.

2 Likes

Been there, done that. Thanks anyway.

If you need real help, you have to let yourself be helped. Please say exactly waht you did, or show us a video. What is happening to you is NOT NORMAL, and sounds highly unusual. But unless you provide good information, you will not get any good help.

Requesting a refund doesn’t require providing good information, of course, so it might be an easier way.

I’d gladly help you, but as it is, my hands are tied without your cooperation.

So please choose: do you want to get help? Then provide us with good info: step by step descriptions, ideally with pictures.

6 Likes

I HAVE cooperated. SIXTEEN hours and counting, today cooperating.

I do not need to be dressed down in public. A professional would take to private mail/messaging what ever!.

It’s a Catch22. I cannot take images or videos until I can install a thing to screencap all that goes wrong until I can stop whatever interrupts key presses as I believe that is why the password fails. I start entering, and of course, not to be like others, the pressing of keys are not shown - not even as *'s or blanks.

PROOF: I retried again and again and after I don’t know how many tries, but it finally it installed gnome screenshot.

I hate to say it, but against suggestions, I downloaded updates. But still cannot use phone. It says - great, now none of the icons respond. Reboot. Need a hot key for that - really do. OK, rebooted and they work agsin.

Cick the phone, tap dial pad
“Enter a number”
I put in 28 and it hangs. Reboot.
I put in 10 made it! Now what? There is a blue button with a white phone in it. Pressing that I get Call ended. So, once the phone number is in, all of it we hope, what next? Wait?
It’s why I read up in the Wiki and asked when Mobile will be ready. No one has answered that yet. So, mobile is coming? Is Here - Wiki says it’s not. Phone doesn’t work. Wiki must be right. Who do I beloved. The person that tells don’t, or the one that says do, or the one that says it’s not ready, or the one that says click on the blue phone. Looked good on paper I bet.

If people would just READ, and not chastize what they haven’t read, things would move faster than browbeating and belittling using uncooperative as a excuse.

and

Talk about not cooperating. I this about getting something done, or not wanting to answer the unknown? I have provided step x step, and experience has taught me along with peer review studies, that people don’t read it all. If I put in, and have, a lengthy stepxstep and it’s been responded to, but clearly missed many points.

I have cooperated, I have provided detail, I have done as asked if it were possible and I don’t appreciate being talked down to. The best excuse for not doing something that can’t be done but need to save face is to imply the customer isn’t cooperating. , but I’m sure some didn’t notice that. Or care to.

You tell me. How does one take a picture. Yes, yes, I read all about using another phone. I can’t wait till someone wanders in with digital device, smart, clever, or dumb phone so I used a stand alone camera.
Best I can do. and if that is being uncooperative then just don’t respond.

2 Likes

Because that question has no answer. The phone works for some. It doesn’t for others, as you noticed yourself. Different people have different needs, no one but you knows yours.

I’m glad you decided to share the photo. I hope it’s the beginning of the end of your problems. The photo is completely sufficient, I can see that the phone is very busy. Now, could you please try the following:

• hold the power button for about 20s
  • release for about 5s
  • press again (the light should go green)
  • type 123456 as the first password
  • type 123456 as the second password
  • open the system monitor
  • do nothing else!
  • and take another photo just like the one above

This should give us some insight into what’s going on with your phone. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Am I to understand I bought a paperweight that looks like a digital phone?

Yahoo!!! Not the stalker site. A Yosemite Sam Yahoo! Cavalry to the rescue!
I’ve been going sicne 8:30 am yesterday and it’s 2:00 am today. I’ll get right to it, but I need to rest, and date day tomorrow, oops in 8 hours with my honey :slight_smile: but for certain later today around 8pm or 11 pending on when date leaves :smirk:

Thanks @dcz - that’s 3 things getting fixed. Maybe. I can assure you tho, every time I looked at Usage, it’s in the 80+ and 25+ so I hope so too.

~s

2 Likes

Again (not that this helps), but you are also in a non-USA country correct?

Maybe the support folks know of specific carrier vs. hardware issues in your country location.

The answer is that mobile is functional already, and has been (in some form) from the first shipment. It’s just not working for you right now, apparently. Or at least not with your SIM card inserted. Could it be that your carrier requires Voice Over LTE (VoLTE) functionality, and that the L5’s modem is not VoLTE-certified with your carrier, and that the carrier disables your calls fromthe L5 automatically? We don’t know, absent information about what carrier you’re attempting to use with the L5.

If your carrier does require VoLTE, and if it is a VoLTE issue that’s preventing calling, then there are instructions available from support on how to enable VoLTE on the L5. It hasn’t been pushed out for general release yet, because I think they’re still testing it, but they will certainly tell you how to enable it yourself if you need it now.

I don’t know if this is the crux of the problem. I’m just offering a possible explanation.

1 Like

Updating is absolutely recommended. I believe people were advising you not to update the firmware yet. Updating the software is not only OK, but also required.

3 Likes

Didn’t work? Really? Sounds like you got a lemon.

Not really, just while I’m quite sure (although guessing) that @Sharon is our oldest member here. And while I still do remember “That’s All Folks!” cartoons :nerd_face:.

It really sounds like a reflash would work wonders here. Just my $0.02.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how to take that because Looney Tunes still run their Bugs Bunny, Porky P and others and can watch them on Youtube - if you agree to giving up your rights privacy. I remember them too. I just saw them when I just did a search :smirk:
~f

1 Like