Evolution for Librem 5

I know a lot of work has been done with libhandy to make existing applications work with a smaller touch screen / the L5.

Has any work or thought been put into making Evolution work with libhandy?

I ask because I have messed around with the following and dislike them for the noted reasons:

• Thunderbird - too clunky, doesn’t work reliably enough with ProtonMail (mainly searching for messages not in the inbox)
  • Geary - overly simple, though has great potential. Tends to crash when syncing with ProtonMail

Evolution: this is the client I have been happiest with. It syncs reliably, it searches reliably, and it integrates well with GNOME.
– it is a bit clunky when trying to resize down, as it would be on a phone.

What do ya’ll think?

3 Likes

That would be really nice…

1 Like

Darn it! I just got used to Thunderbird on the workstation and K-9 Mail on the mobile. You’re making me think I bet on the wrong horse.

Do you know if it pulls contacts and calendars from a Nextcloud server?

I’ve done some fiddling around, and it appears to pull from the same sources as the individual Contacts, Calendars, and Notes GNOME applications, which themselves pull from whatever you have setup in gnome-control-center.

While I have not tested Nextcloud specifically, logic says Evolution could sync with it in its current state, so long as your OS installation / config otherwise supports it via the control center (Settings app).

1 Like

There is a fork of Tinymail in the Librem 5 repository, so it might be what is used as the default email client, but there are only nine commits from December 2017, so Purism might have abandoned it or maybe Purism hasn’t had time to work on it yet.

You can always run Evolution, but it probably won’t work well on a 5.7" screen until the code has been adapted to work with libhandy.

I don’t think evolution will get a mobile version anytime soon or at all. Yes libhandy is there and could be used. But even with such toolkits there is a constraint of space which conflicts with complex tool suites such as evolution. It simply has to many options an capabilities to make a nice UI / UX on a mobile device. Same goes for tools like gimp or blender or an ide like builder. Complex powerful tools which need a certain amount of screen space to function properly.
I don’t say it’s impossible but i think it would need a lot of work for a result that can probably not compete with separate apps for mail calendar notes and contacts.
I think there is a reason that even microsoft didn’t put the full blasted outlook on their mobile phones.

And i have the impression that gnome is following the idea of separate apps anyway. Calendar, Contacts, and Geary seam to me more like the future than evolution. But i don’t habe any thing to support this thesis its just an impression.

3 Likes

I can get with this idea, but Geary’s mail tools need to be as fully functioning as Evolution’s are. I can do without built-in nature of Contact, Calendar, and Notes – so long as it is properly integrated with the standalone apps, which it currently is not. Geary’s mail tools are also lackluster.

1 Like

Okay, that was really cool. Yes it does pull in everything from Nextcloud; Tasks, Calendars, Contacts. At first I immediately realized it was pulling from stored identities in Ubuntu because I never gave Evolution my two Gmail addresses before. I thought it wasn’t working right though because it threw a series of errors, but that turned out to be one of those Gmail addresses had an updated password that I never altered in Ubuntu. I fixed that and again thought it wasn’t getting my Nextcloud right because that is the only place I store contacts. It turned out that the small window the client launched in by default was hiding all the good stuff! The display area when a contact was selected was so big that the cards area only showed the top 3 pixels of the gray border of the cards!

The Evolution client reminds me of 1980’s Outlook Express. I only used it for a short time around 1987.

I edited a repeating calendar event in Evolution to change the date, After the save it threw a spurious error message about not being able to find the event. I say spurious because the event moved in Evolution and on Nextcloud to the right place almost instantaneously. Very cool. I’m glad I tried it.

I could be talking before thinking here, but when I put the Librem One app set on my Android, I saw that their Librem Mail was a fork of K-9 Mail. Due to my ignorance, I thought Librem Mail had a problem, but it was I’m not paying for the subscription so the Mail and Tunnel don’t work as expected. Tunnel works when I import my own OVPN file.
During that ignorant moment, I installed K-9 Mail and really grew to like it. The more settings I found to make it my own the happier I got.

Does Tinymail have an easy way to get OpenPGP keys imported? And is Tinymail a phone only type of project?

Does the Geary client do the OpenPGP easily? I see the Evolution just seamlessly pulled from the Seahorse key set.

@dc3p First of all. ProtonMail isn’t reliable nor privacy friendly. The way they advertise as a privacy friendly email service they hardly make any effort to keeping it that way. If you want reliability in an email provider that isn’t bullcrap. Then Tutanota does the job!

Just try it out for yourself; https://www.emailprivacytester.com/

When running the test through the browser alone, nothing is picked up in the tool until I load remote content. When I do click load remote content, it is only able to ascertain “my” IP. I say it like this because I am behind VPN and always am. When checking the location of the IP it picks up, it is the location of the VPN server.

When running the test via ProtonMail Bridge in Evolution, the DNS prefetching does pick up an IP address, however that IP is one in Switzerland (Proton’s mail server). When the test email doesn’t crash Evolution LOL, it is able to ascertain my VPN’s IP location and that I’m using Evolution.

When running these tests without being connected to VPN, it picks up on my ISP’s local IP, but not my home IP.

The tests that worked were: DNS precache (via Bridge only), Video poster, CSS content, CSS background image, and image tag.

Does Tutanota prevent these things?

Yes they do. You can create a tutanota account if you dont believe me and try it. I dont know about the IP address thing you were talking about as I am always over Tor to begin with so I dont care about that in particular. Most thing I am concered about is the leaks. If you just open an email on ProtonMail it will send information over to the sender. Tutanota will prevent this completely. Nothing is sent after opening an email. Only if you load remote content which you have control over. Or open attached files/images.

you can lock remote content load in protonmail if you want

That is the same behavior I observed in ProtonMail. When opening the message in Evolution via the bridge, it got a switzerland IP before opening the message, and my VPN IP only after manually loading remote content.

When checking via the web, the tool got my VPN IP only after loading remote content manually.

2 Likes

In Gnome there is the Evolution Data Server. This is something different than the Evolution PIM Software. It is a central data storage. If you use the Settings app or if you use the settings inside Evolution, you kind a configure the Evolution Data Server and all gnome apps has the data.
I have a synology diskstation and need to configure the Evolution Data Server with the Settings dialog of Evolution PIM. But in daily work I often use the Gnome Calender and the Contacts App.

And i have the impression that gnome is following the idea of separate apps anyway.

yes, I think so too. After trying to create a Outlook they are going the Apple way.

I hope Geary will be finished sometime. But the development story with changing teams does not sound good. No idea how active and serious the development is at the moment.