External battery charger for Librem5

Yes already discussing it with support.
Expecting reply tomorrow or so about further steps.

1 Like

Got the RMA, I’ll update the post once I get phone back.

1 Like

I own an additional battery, an universal charger and I charged it with this external charger (specs are visible below). The battery shows now 4.303V. As I read in this and other threads:

1. I should not insert the battery with this voltage. correct?
  2. What should a resistor has as Ohm (Ω) to discharge the battery externally before inserting?

UPDATE: IIRC my electronic school, a battery of 4500mAh and 4V which will be discharged in 9h means that this is done with: 4500mAh / 9h = 500mA = 0.5A and following R = U / I means: 4V / 0.5A = 8Ω. A I wrong?

Thanks.

1 Like

Post can’t be empty

1 Like

You can insert it, just keep the modem and GPS off until it goes below 4.2V (POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_OCV).

3 Likes

Just received my phone with motherboard replacement :crossed_fingers: .
I’ll update the thread by next week (or earlier if I hit issue).

1 Like

I can enter jumpdrive, I don’t have need to flash right now so not trying flash at moment.

1 Like

Trying to bring things back on topic, I have been looking for one of those charging stations like the ones for recharging sets of 2-way radios to charge up 2-4 spare Librem5 batteries at once. My reason is that I still want to figure out a way to stop bringing android/ios with me when I go on backpacking trips. Plus, I think just having a small pouch like those USB drive carrying cases with a few extra batteries in it would be easier and less bulky than an external battery pack.

3 Likes

4 spare batteries would be 16000 mah + kinda big charging station, I think at that point one or 2 10000 mah external packs would be more convenient and lighter.

3 Likes

I’ve been carrying both pretty much wherever I go for the last six months: one spare L5 battery and one 20,000 mAh power bank.

I almost always end up using the latter. Not having to power down the phone and then boot up again is just too convenient.

In two scenarios, I still find the spare battery useful: when traveling light, e.g. at concerts, and at venues where bringing power banks is forbidden, e.g. at the stadium.

1 Like

Please Could you let me know how did you insert the battery to recharge it?
I bought it on Amazon reading your post but battery is larger than the max opening of the charger! I can’t insert it!
In fact, if you measure battery it’s 6mm instead the max opening of the charger is 55mm!
Thank you

1 Like

Even bigger battery than that of Librem5 can fit in this charger.
Bottom / side part is spring loaded, you need to pull it back before battery can slide in.
Contacts can be moved around.
Please see pictures in this post: External battery charger for Librem5 - #77 by librem5

I can take a video if you want to see how it works.

1 Like

Yes, I did it! Till the end but smaller than battery. Maybe I bought a different model:

1 Like

As you can see, battery takes to the end of the charger! I would have to break the sliding carriage in order to place it all in the charger

2 Likes

That’s so weird!! It seems same I bought on Amazon but how can battery fit it if max open is 55mm instead L5 battery is 60mm?

1 Like

Yes this looks different

1 Like

1 Like

Well, almost 6mm. It’s 56/57mm

1 Like

I wonder if they changed the product:
Here it says 66mm should be ok (same link scroll below)

2 Likes

Right!! It make sense!! Mine is smaller!! :+1: