FCC Queries U.S. Mobile Network Providers on Data Privacy

FCC queries AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and more on data privacy policies

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/fcc-queries-att-t-mobile-verizon-and-more-data-privacy-policies

2 Likes

I have a friend that’s a former chief of staff for a US senator. In a conversation about ISPs and telcos, he mentioned that he met that the people that originally raised net neutrality as an issue. In a dark comment, he mentioned they told him it was for top cover to mask a larger controversy regarding telecommunications. It was, in his view, completely engineered as an astro-turf operation. I need to follow up with him and ask him if he can clarify.

When I see issues like this, I can’t help but think of what he said.

Can’t the carriers just post a twenty page disclosure using four point font in lawyer-speak, informing everyone about how they share their customer’s location and other information? They typically have a “click here to agree” box. If you don’t agree, you can’t activate your service. Then they tell the FCC that they only sell customer information if the customer agrees. It’s all in that twenty page agreement that everyone agrees to but nobody reads.

2 Likes

Sadly, that summarises the situation fairly accurately.