Firefox ESR && flickering Bookmarks

Ahh so you are using a bunch of charging throughout the day. Sounds like you have a good routine.

I would be interested in whether you are leaving the phone all the time or if you are putting it into standby mode as well?

I leave it on all the time. Power setting is set to suspend never when plugged in, 25 minutes on battery.

Is suspend and standby the same thing?

If I remember, I HKS-1 & 2 when the phone is in a Faraday locker so that the radios don’t go into overload trying to connect because there is no signal. I ought to exercise more HKS discipline and remember to kill WiFi when I’m away from the house, but I’ve not drained the battery yet (3? 4 weeks?).

2 Likes

I installed several extensions, like NoScript, uBlockOrigin, JShelter, LibreJS, clicking on their icons to adjust settings results in the same flickering issue like bookmarks, I have no solution besides going to the extensions menu in order to open their parameters, but then it is not in the context of any page, so I can’t see the list of things that were blocked, which makes it tricky to adjust anything.

Sorry but what is “standby mode”? I just found this power settings but there is a warning that this is experimental so I would not have tried it.

Currently, with wifi/BT switch in off position, my Librem 5 fully charged and not plugged on power when I go to sleep is out of battery when I wake up.

That is where I am too. I always charge throughout the night, even though it may not be the best for the battery in the long run. But as the L5 battery drains so quickly, it is very inconvenient to start the day without a full charge.

I have gotten in the habit of just turning the phone off when I go to sleep. I try to put 80-90% charge before turning it off for the night.

1 Like

Although this conversation is interesting, it’s a bit off topic. Don’t you all agree? :wink:
I mean, the flickering drop-down menu’s in Firefox are still there, or did I miss something?

1 Like

It is akin to sleep or suspend on a desktop. It is marked experimental because sometimes when resuming the phone crashes and you have to hard power off to get it back. This happens maybe every 20 times you resume. Not too significant, and I use it despite this.

As far as this being off topic, I would agree, if we could get this dialog moved to another thread of about daily use that would be good. Perhaps the Daily use poll thread I made.

also slightly tangential but i have changed a bunch of about:config settings for sites with heavy graphic use for example images, video lists etc, like turning image lazy loading off to great effect, there are also tons of logging functions i turned off (since i am not a web developer) which i think may have sped up firefox on mobile - anectodally.

to me this make it seem that Firefox ESR mobile really hasnt been optimized for underpowered mobile devices simple by nature of default settings, or by how menues are structured

I just got my L5 and the flickering addon popups are the only thing really bugging me. Has anyone found a way to fix this?

I notice that with the downloads popup, if I am in landscape mode, it doesn’t flicker. The bookmark doesn’t flicker for me for the most part. But, it isn’t always stable either. I’ve gotten into the habit, of when I get to the bookmark popup, I open the “Manage Bookmarks” item. That opens a separate window on the L5. Then, I navigate to the bookmark I want, double-click and it opens back on the firefox window. A workaround.

Mostly using Firefox in landscape mode and 150% screen scale. I also added the old menus on top of Firefox since I hate that hamburger menu (not just on L5). Since I block every script by NoScript by default I run into same issues with addon menu flickering. So I open context menu and hit the button “NoScript”. A new window will be opened with all the NoScript stuff and without flickering. Maybe it also helps with other addons.

The menus on top of Firefox work great on 150% scale (except landscape view + opened squeekboard) while hamburger menu has also other bugs (menu can disappear completely).

I’ve noticed that the flickering with bookmarks occur when the description or title of a bookmark is too long.
Making it less long will remove the flickering.

For using “NoScript” I had same issues.
Pressing somewhere on blank space of a webpage activates a menu that does not flicker.
You can access NoScript from this menu more easily then going through the hamburger menu.

I was speaking about that menu and not about hamburger menu, if it was not clear. You also can access it via terminal keyboard, hitting the button on right of space bar and then the Button “Menu”. Could be helpfully on some pages where “right click” is doing something else (for example opening context menu for graphics).

You are right, I misunderstood your message.
We are talking about the same work around. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Thank you for your suggestions. I’m using the Masterpassword.app addon and NC Passwords, both of which aren’t accessible via the context menu. Landscape mode isn’t helping either :frowning:
There’s no problem in convergence mode, so it’s really just a scaling problem on the mobile’s screen.

i can confirm 150% scale or lower makes menues work, 175% or higher still causes flicker depending on menue

150% make masterpassword useable but Nextcloud Passwords still won’t work.

Menus still blink for me at 150%.

I worked on a solution for 150% screen scale. If you want other scales, you have to edit my solution. Take a look.

1 Like

This is still an issue. I got the blinking black rectangle when docked. Tried it undocked and got the same.

Worst result was when I deselected mobile mode, which I had to install to fix another issue, and the whole screen went blank and the L5 was unresponsive. Had to power off to clear it.