Firefox is malware?

OK, so what version of Firefox are you talking about?

Firefox v128+

OK, but Iā€™m running Firefox 131. And it let me avoid Google as the default search engine provider and it then let me remove Google as a search engine provider (so that accidents are not even possible).

If Google / Firefox were truly evil and all of the above is just theatre (e.g. a search pretends to go via Wikipedia or Bing, but actually just goes to Google) then eventually I would notice it in my DNS logs (and, sure, I understand that if they were truly truly evil, they could bypass my DNS server without telling me).

Are you talk about url searching?

Iā€™m talking about
Edit/Settings
Search
Default Search Engine and Search Shortcuts

and their effect on the Address bar (where you type a URL or a search) and on the Search bar (where you type a search). Some (most?) users donā€™t even enable the Search bar, which I believe is not enabled by default.

(If I had my choice, I would completely remove all search functionality from the Address bar. So Address bar is for addresses and Search bar is for searches.)

I think this is quite an aggressive stance.

If someone states an uninformed opinion, thatā€™s not trolling if it is their true, real, uninformed opinionā€¦ right?

As an example, I heard that Firefox makes 80% of their revenue from Google - because itā€™s so important to Google to control the default search provider - and so that money is given in the name of changing default search.

So although I did not read the source code of Firefox in any great depth, when I learned to understand 80% of Firefox revenue is from Google, I then anticipate from a distance that now Firefox would have a big incentive to cater to Google, both publicly and privately. Google might have more money than I do, and thus more manpower to hide security holes in plain sight via contributions to Firefox in the name of gain-of-feature.

And I can state this uninformed opinion ā€“ that Google might be doing this and might be outsmarting me with their superior manpower.

If I then make this declaration, that I see this likelihood for an abuse of their influence, and I have concerns it might be happening, and almost at times feels likely to me that it would be happeningā€¦ Isnā€™t thatā€¦ not trolling at all? It feels to me that this is very far from trolling. It is a form of sharing a legitimate concern. Or stated differently, I may be legitimately concerned even if you believe that the basis for my concerns was not founded upon legitimate evidence. (So, it seems right and reasonable that I be allowed to tell the story that I was legitimately concerned, even if it was based upon bad reasoning that I became concerned.)

And if you ask me to point to Firefox line 1472 in code where it says, if (dlonk) { outsmart(dlonk); }, and I do not find it and fail to identify the location of this line of codeā€¦ because it did indeed outsmart meā€¦ was I ever a troll for predicting it to have existed?

It feels honestly rather hostile, almost like trolling itself, to want to disqualify someoneā€™s concern and try to encourage moderation action against it because you believe them to be uninformed or incorrect.

Is that a hot take? Did you not interpret @carlosgonz opinion in the same manner as me?