First steps with a new Librem 5

I’ve had a search but couldn’t turn anything up, not to say it doesn’t exist of course.

Is there a step by step guide about the first things suggested that I do with a new Librem 5? I want to get things right from the get go so if there is a beginner sort of guide that would be marvellous.

Any tips or pointers very much appreciated.

4 Likes

Hi Brad
Congratulations with the new L5!

Have you read the sheet (inside the box of the L5) with title “Thanks for buying… … how to get started with your phone”

If so, then the first time boot process will lead you through some basic steps to get started.

If you own a Linux Laptop/Desktop I would suggest to make a back up of the currrent state of the phone. This can be done by using “Jumpdrive”.

There are several messages about “Jumpdrive”.
A good start you can find here.

3 Likes

Hello,

There are a lot. This is a good place to start: Where to start with new phone

Also, I follow the LinMOB blog: https://linmob.net/ He has had some good tutorials and setup links from time-to-time. I find it to be a great resource for Linux Mobile, as a whole. Otherwise, the moderators and long-timers here: @FranklyFlawless, @amarok, @irvinewade to name three, are great resources.

Also, I found @Kyle_Rankin and his post to be invaluable, especially this one: My First Year of Librem 5 Convergence – Purism

2 Likes

Yes. That is a conservative approach. For me: do the basic set up and then back it up. However there’s nothing stopping someone from doing both. It depends on probability of breakage / amount of tinkering. :slight_smile:

Don’t know but I would say:

• set proper passwords for a) encryption passphrase if applicable and b) unlock PIN
  • make sure that your phone has picked up the correct date/time (manually fix if not)
  • then get it on the WiFi
  • then apply updates
  • set timezone
  • import Contacts
  • configure email client (Geary)
  • do backup

(I’ve omitted a few, more technical, things that I myself did.)

After that it may come down to what you personally intend to do with the phone.

4 Likes

Here you go:

Librem 5 - Purism - Librem products documentation

1 Like

Thanks everyone. The phone arrived today and is currently charging away. I won’t get to it proper until the weekend, but can’t wait.

I don’t expect much from a phone so this will be fun.

4 Likes