Flashback: Open Source Phones circa 2007

I came across this Wired article from way-way back in the day… It’s interesting to see the progress that has been made with open source mobile phones since then.

7 Likes

See also:
https://linmob.net/will-linux-phones-stay-around-this-time/

And discussion on Hacker News:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27010556

5 Likes

Oh, god…are we that old that 2007 is considered “way-way back in the day”? :’(

4 Likes

Don’t make me hit you with my 56k modem.

4 Likes

Meanwhile the internet’s uninformed are constantly ranting against last year’s hardware specs… “Ewwwww…!”
:roll_eyes:
:rofl:

1 Like

Hey, i buy a Linux Phone to have a small Computer as daily driver. Yes i done it with my Notebook and i can have Video Conferences too.

But 2020 its just too heavy. And right now i just need a Device which does not snitch. So Librem5 is perfect.

Right now Linux is at Googles, Amazon, Facebook and Twitters Infrastructure. And its used in China too. So Linux is that Operating System, which rule the World. And yes my washing machine and my induction stove in the kitchen and my TV use Linux too right now. And i am sure parts of my Car run with Linux. So i knew that my new Smartphone will too.

Thank you for that Article amarok!

2 Likes

And the International Space Station.
And Mars.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Good Point. :slight_smile:

Ha, guess what I just dug out:

It’s running an early-2014 build of SHR. Connected to WiFi and synced time via NTP from GUI, still works :slight_smile: What a blast from the past! (although I have to say it’s even slower than I remembered :laughing:)

#shotonmylibrem5

10 Likes

Are you selling it?

1 Like

Nope. Spent way too much time hacking on that device to not be emotionally attached to it :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I love that little :penguin: in the top menu bar!

I’ve seen a couple of used Nokia N900s for sale lately. I would love to buy one, but with 3G networks being shut down everywhere, it would be useless for anything except a WiFi pocket computer.

At least here in Europe 2G networks are still working fine and there’s no shutting down of either 2G or 3G on the horizon yet (its reception does get worse though as more and more frequencies get reused for newer tech). I still have my old Nokia 3410 somewhere here and it still worked fine around two years ago when I tried using it last time :smiley: (well, aside of internet connection, I could still connect to the old CSD modem number of my provider but seemed like it didn’t route me anywhere anymore - I wonder whether someone actually checks whether that still works at the provider side :))

1 Like

LOL, I have one of those somewhere.

I’m guessing a mobile hotspot device could make the old phones usable and reliable again, but we only have so many pockets.

I beg to differ. The N900 is competent at taking snap photos, tracking GPS position, finding your way around an unfamiliar place, playing music, finding constellations, making notes, waking you up, and reminding of events.

It’s just not good for communication.

2 Likes

If only it could be hacked somehow to make use of existing satellite phone networks, we’d be golden! :slightly_smiling_face:
(Get busy, @dos and @dcz!)

@dos has been busy: http://neo900.org/

2 Likes