Frequently Asked Questions for the Librem 5

@JR-Fi, I added something similar:

Purism has not yet published information on how to use these test points.

I added another question (just to annoy @user1):
1.9. Does the Librem 5 provide any water resistance?

1 Like

What would I be mad about? What is shown at the link? It seems fine. I’d just rather sacrifice ease of modularity with getting some modularity for water resistance to be a thing in this product than practically no water resistance at all apart from the 2 m.2’s with practically complete ease of modularity. Some people will like the first option and some the other but for those that sometimes go outside in the rain, I wouldn’t hold out for the second group.
edit: For some products I own, I would very much like modularity over durability but a mobile phone is not one of those areas. If you can do both very well, then great! If you can’t, I would much prefer durability as I haven’t abused something more than my mobile phone. Oh well. People who bought this knew they were getting into a V1 product that is trying its very best to get RYF and such which is practically impossible for the mobile phone industry. Buyers are probably going to be very careful with how they use the product.

I hope this phone can succeed so a company that has a a great CEO can see value in the concept and can manage making their own libre mobile phone for a respectable price with bearable specs. Really hoping for V2 to actually be amazing and somewhat affordable. Would be awesome to see purism be awesome rather than what they currently are which is somewhat of a dream.

I take it that you are unable to label the points for Dogwood - or is the new labelling obvious to those more knowledgeable than I?

I suspect that Purism just took the 5 USB test points and added them to right hand side in Dogwood, so we get this group of 20 test points:

[BOOT_MODE1]    [GND]       [JTAG_NTRST] [GND]      [JTAG_TDI] [USB1_DP] [USB1_VBUS]
[NVCC_SNVS_3V3] [UART2_TXD] [UART1_RXD]  [JTAG_TCK] [JTAG_TMS] [USB1_DN] [GND] 
[BOOT_MODE0]    [UART2_RXD] [UART1_TXD]  [POR_B]    [JTAG_TDO] [USB1_ID]

However, we need someone to test it to make sure, or Purism could simply give us their documentation on the test points, which would make everything much easier.

1 Like

Congratulations on a job well done!
I have a comment regarding section "7.1. What will be the changes in the Fir batch and should I wait for it?".
I think it should be made clear from the first line that there is speculation and that Purism has not officially confirm anything about the CPU (or about others parts) and has not yet started working on this topic.
This is clear to those who follow the company’s news closely but not to others.

I updated the FAQ to make it clear that it is speculation

However, there is only one “14nm Next Generation CPU” that Purism can be referring to. The processor didn’t yet have a name in Sept. 2019 when Fir was announced, so that is why Purism didn’t name it as the i.MX 8M Plus. Nonetheless, I get your point that the FAQ is speculation, because the Plus isn’t even in production and has not been documented and benchmarked.

I also think that there is a significant chance that Purism will decide to release Fir with the Quad instead of the Plus, and just add more RAM and Flash storage. I didn’t put that speculation in the FAQ, because it would contradict Purism’s announcement, but it seems increasingly likely the longer that NXP delays releasing the Plus and NXP is nothing like Intel in terms of providing mainline Linux driver support for its chips.

3 Likes

Thank.
Yes, your analysis is on strong bases. It the only possibilities if Purism keep the goal of using a 14nm for the next batch.
But they can still change their plan and keep the same 28nm CPU for example.

I added another question:
2.16. Can the Librem 5 cameras save raw (uncompressed) video?

2 Likes

If you are desperate and it fits, you can store raw video on the eMMC and then encode it from eMMC to ”SD card in order to free up the space on the eMMC for more video. (If you tried to do that in parallel then clearly you can’t do that indefinitely but it could increase the maximum duration of video that you could capture.)

Other random option: Store raw video to the network. That would probably surpass the speed of the ”SD card and may surpass the capacity of the ”SD card (and with near certainty surpasses the capacity of the eMMC).

I believe there has been some discussion in this forum in the past about using WiFi hotspot to a nearby external device that would be a media store, which clearly you would only do if you are pretty serious about your media.

If one wants to do this via the cellular network, well, where I live, I would probably be waiting for 5G before that is viable but 

Theoretical calculations are great but all of these options will need testing to see what works at all.

1 Like

WiFi is a good solution for storing low resolution video, but we will still face the same speed limits for higher resolution video. The top speed of 802.11n (which is all we have in the Librem 5) is 75 MB/s. In the real world it is often much lower.

1 Like

I added another FAQ question:
1.7. Why does the Librem 5 cost so much compared to the PinePhone?

You might want to proof-read that title again :upside_down_face:
(Ok, better :slight_smile: )

Funny how I read it twice, and didn’t see that one.

1 Like

Due to the power limitations of the Librem 5’s 3600 mAh battery

and a couple more places need to be updated with respect to the battery size.

1 Like

Okay. I have a question less frequently asked (although, admittedly, I haven’t checked):
will screen orientation changes be automated in the (near) future?

(I remember having to change the orientation manually on older Windows Mobile phones, and it was a hassle to say the least.)

1 Like

I am sure it will be implemented. All sensors for that are ready, it just needs a careful implementation. I tried to switch it on on my Pinephone to have automatic orientation and, believe me, it’s better to do it manually :slight_smile: until it’s really well done.

1 Like

Lol! I catch your drift!

Personally I absolutely hate automatic screen rotation, but some people want it :wink:

5 Likes

Well, in my experience, it is highly dependent on your own position whether auto-rotation is useful or annoying. But, on the whole, I think auto-rotation beats having to swipe down a menu and clicking an option,

1 Like

Even on the mature spiPhone, it often doesn’t do what I want.

I’m definitely on the fence. I think manual orientation could work provided that it is really quick and easy to cause it to occur i.e. not buried in three levels of settings.