Fun with Yahoogroups and Groups.IO

This has been a minor kerfluffle with yahoogroups the past few days. It all started with a banner at the top of all yahoogroups saying:

“Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019.”

Basically what this means is all files and photos in yahoogroups will be deleted.

Looks like yahoogroups has succumbed to the final act of political correctness by not hosting any user content at all.

It turns out everyone (and their mother) still using yahoogroups have been looking for new homes. Most are looking at the duo: FB and big-G.

Many are also looking at groups.io.

If you visit the groups.io main website (and don’t log in). They have a statement saying "No Ads, No Tracking. We are a freemium service. We don’t run advertising and your data is never submitted to any ad tracking networks. " With and icon of binoculars with an international “no” symbol overlaid on it.

I will peradventure to guess their security is not as good as puri.sm nor librem but at least it is a step in the right direction. Or they share the same philosophy.

So if it matters, yes I have been spending the last couple of days migrating couple of yahoogroups to groups.io manually because it’s free. There is even one I paid the 110 bucks for to get it done automatically. Support at groups.io even admitted it may take a few days because they are overwhelmed by emigration from yahoogroups.

2 Likes

Wow, I haven’t touched my Yahoo Groups in a long time. I started to not need them in the early 2000s. When Farcebook was new I thought we (family members) could have done this years ago with a Yahoo Group. Google Groups started to get good when I was ditching Groups websites.

The end of g+ caused a migration into Friendica servers where you can make a “Forum” account type. It’s close to a Federated g+ Community.

Is that groups.io a OpenSource type of DIY server thing too, or just their site like Slack does?

If you go to the “about” link on the site, it says it was started by Mark Fletcher. A onetime exec at Yahoo.

He also started onelist, which got bought by yahoo and became yahoogroups. As what I usually see when someone gets bought, unless he gets dumped right away, the former owner gets some figurehead exec position in the new company for a few years.

So it appears he is going back to his roots.

If he has the same philosophy near to puri.sm, maybe the two companies can make some sort of deal? (Like like Don Rickles in Kelly’s Heroes talking about the german tanker, “Make a deal! Maybe he’s a Republican?”)

1 Like

Well, Purism seems to be a deal maker. I got info about a Nextcloud project that Purism is in on where VoIP through the Nextcloud Talk app could be a thing. aka: google free Google Voice.