Geary mail fetching hangs on regular basis

Seems that Geary mail app IMAP fetching hangs at least 2-3 times a day, where I have to kill the process and restart the app before it will download the remaining messages.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

PureOS 10.0
Geary 40.0

1 Like

Has anyone figured out how to launch the Geary flatpak app from the command line so the terminal output can be monitored? I can’t find the executable. Task Monitor shows the process properties with ‘command line /app/bin/geary --gapplication-service’.

I did find a .desktop file for it at path /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gnome.Geary/x86_64/stable/3bb244975224137429780e54d831c0d5af9b847886f94c2ee507d144d3fafbf0/export/share/applications/org.gnome.Geary.desktop

with this as the exec= line

Exec=/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=geary --file-forwarding org.gnome.Geary @@u %U @@

The exec line should be the command to run it (after the = ).

If you run it as is, this is the terminal output below, and the application does not launch

seth@mini:~$ /usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=geary --file-forwarding org.gnome.Geary @@u %U @@
geary: Unrecognised program argument: “%U”
*[wrn] 12:17:11.0956 geary:application-certificate-manager.vala:74: No GCR slot URIs found, GCR certificate pinning unavailable

I suppose I don’t know enough about flatpaks to know what the @@ stuff is. Never seen it before myself, will it run if you omit that part?

Good idea. I ran the following command and the app launches now

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=geary --file-forwarding org.gnome.Geary

Next step would be to figure out how to launch it with debug output.

Update: tested by appending --debug to end of that command above and now i see debug output in the terminal.

1 Like

by the way the flatpak geary app on the librem 5 for me had the same issues of failing to sync with the smtp server after a while, killing it and restarting the app did not resolve the issue as .deb or .flatpak, only a phone restart would. So there must be another process that needs to be restarted as well.

Geary v43 Flatpak on my Desktop does not have that issue.

1 Like