Gnome being laggy / General UI lag

I have to say that I’m so far pretty disappointed by the responsiveness of the UI on my librem 15v4 running Gnome. The performance is vastly below what I experience on my 2011 model macbook pro. Is this partially just Gnome being laggy, as people have complained about this on various other distros as well? What advice does the community have to improve UI performance? For instance, I am easily able to type faster than text renders on the screen, which is not acceptable performance.

I would start with some basic fault isolation.

• Live boot to ensure that it is not something that you have installed / a setting that you have tweaked
  • Try another distro live boot

Also, what are you typing into? shell? LibreOffice? gedit?

It may help to mention which repo you are using and/or what versions of anything you are running.

in addition to what Kieran already wrote above, i’d say it wouldn’t hurt to also list your storage medium that you used during your test ?

was it a bare-metal install of PureOS/GNOME - was it Amber or Byzantium ? was it stable-Debian ? Ubuntu or something else ?

if you test a PureOS-live on a usb-thumb-drive make sure to use a relatively fast one (usb-3.0 preferred). also consider testing the latest GNOME DE (3.36 minimum) since there have been certain improvements in regards to speed and fluidity at the desktop level.

also GNOME is polished-free-sw-bloat but still BLOAT :sweat_smile:

My experience on the Librem-Mini was the same at 1st.

I switched to Xorg instead of Wayland, this helped alot.

Then what fixed all for me is going to PureOS Byzantium instead of Amber.

Now Byzantium is not stable yet but so far I am very happy with it.

I was able to re-enable all 3d effects in gnome, and the lag is entirely gone. I am on a 4k monitor :wink:

I am still using Xorg instead of Wayland because to me Wayland still have issues with some software.

1 Like

would you say that your disappointment has subsided ?

I am happy now with PureOS Byzantium and Librem-Mini v1

2 Likes