Gnome Contacts Calling

Wait, let me test me first.

EDIT: i still testing …i found one error.

1 Like

@ASwyD2 can you share output(NoRoot): ‘dpkg -l librem5-gnome’ ?

1 Like

The buttons work, they just don’t show the right icons. This is true for me in several other apps, as well – both GTK and KDE.

1 Like

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version        Architecture Description
+++-==============-==============-============-=================================
ii  librem5-gnome  65pureos1~byz1 all          GNOME metapackage for the Librem5
~
~
1 Like

Ok you are Good to go:

sudo apt update -y; sudo apt purge gnome-contacts -y; sudo apt install gnome-contacts librem5-gnome -y; sudo reboot

This won’t remove Contacts

sudo apt update -y; sudo apt purge gnome-contacts -y; sudo apt install gnome-contacts librem5-gnome -y;
[sudo] password for purism: 
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for purism: 
Get:1 https://repo.pureos.net/pureos byzantium InRelease [9,641 B]
Get:2 https://repo.pureos.net/pureos byzantium-updates InRelease [9,649 B]
Get:3 https://repo.pureos.net/pureos byzantium-security InRelease [9,650 B]
Fetched 28.9 kB in 3s (10.4 kB/s)   
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
1 package can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see it.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnome-contacts* librem5-gnome*
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  librem5-gnome
  gnome-contacts (due to librem5-gnome)
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
E: Essential packages were removed and -y was used without --allow-remove-essential.
gnome-contacts is already the newest version (43~beta-1pureos2).
librem5-gnome is already the newest version (65pureos1~byz1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 Like

I installed flatpak v44 contacts and it no longer has the option to text from contacts

1 Like

That won’t work as the flatpak version lack support for that. I’d recommend to not use flatpak versions of system components as those often need minor patches that are needed on mobile.

2 Likes

Yeah I was just seeing what it was like.
Do you have any ideas on why my default app does not have this functionality anymore?

1 Like

If by “default app” you mean the one shipped in PureOS? Are you certain you’re not (by accident) still running the one from the flatpak? (You can check with ps)

1 Like
purism     32763     731  9 13:34 ?        00:00:08 /usr/bin/gnome-contacts --gapplication-service

That is what this: purism@pureos:~$ ps -ef | grep gnome-contacts returns

1 Like

Does anyone else have my issue?

• Yes
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

So just to confirm: you can actually make calls? You just can’t do it from Contacts. But it might be OK from Calls?

And for those numbers where it makes sense to send a text: you can initiate the sending of a text from Contacts?

My only gripe is that Contacts fails to recognise which numbers are able to receive texts (mobile numbers) and which numbers are not (fixed lines and special purpose numbers). In other words, some numbers in a contact would have both the ‘call’ and the ‘text’ icon next to the number while other numbers would have only the ‘call’ icon. I realise that that would either be hard-coding or would require country-specific configuration.

I don’t suppose Contacts already has that functionality and for me it’s not working (fail safe) but for you it’s not working (fail unsafe)??

Another wild speculation: You appear to have your camera/mic killed. Would it make sense to disable calling in that scenario?

2 Likes

Every single one of my contacts has the phone and text icon. Hardware kill switches being active or not has no effect towards it.

That being said, all of my contacts, except for Voicemail, are mobile phone numbers.

2 Likes

(without checking hundreds of contacts rigorously) yes, for me too.

Both of which look like opportunities for future functional polishing.

(I have definitely been known to text in a hurry and send the text to the contact on their fixed line number rather than their mobile number - many of my contacts have both - and then the text will maybe eventually fail. At one time one of our MNOs offered a service where you could send a text to a fixed line number and they would handle that in some way - but I wouldn’t want to rely on that.)

So I would rather have the text icon missing if the number is not text-capable and I would rather have the phone icon greyed out if the mic is killed (and yeah I understand that in the future you can have a Bluetooth headset paired - including a car - and that might not be killed by the mic kill switch and it might be valid therefore still to make a call - so there is more complexity to this).

2 Likes

True

True

It would make sense, but unfortunately it’s not the case.

2 Likes

@guido.gunther

I did remove the flatpak version after testing it, but would the config files from it change how the PureOS version worked?
(I may have installed it a couple of months ago just to see what it was like, but I removed it then as well.)

So I did run this and nothing changed when it rebooted.

2 Likes

ok let me dust off my Librem 5 again then i can give you another Fancy Commands.

2 Likes

While you are doing that, I decided to install Crimson on my Librem 5 USA to see if anything changed about GNOME Contacts.

It no longer shows the two icons that were previously there when I was on Byzantium. Additionally, here is the package description:

gnome-contacts/landing,now 43.1-1 arm64 [installed,automatic]
  Contacts manager for GNOME
1 Like