Gnome/KDE theme guidelines? + hate lol

I just found these on the Play Store, thought they looked amazing, and I wanted to share them with everyone so theming can become a bit more important.
Gnome just doesnt seem to care about the users experience with the desktop environment(example: removing the desktop which 99% of users USE!!).
Here you go KDE and Gnome, create something out of this. If you can!

4 Likes

then i guess iā€™m in the 1% that uses Gnome and find it a pain to minimize everything to get to the desktop. i have several custom start-up programs enabled on each boot (one of them beeing the gui explorer) as such i rarely find myself needing to have my desktop populated by icons. iā€™m not speaking here about KDE.

the thing with Gnome is that it is incredibly easy/fast to change between opened windows and workspaces and it is a breeze to configure some awesome shortcuts for it. also the gui explorer and the 'Disks" utility complement very well the out-of-the-box absence of the so called-desktop-classic-functions which - by the way - can be enabled in ā€˜Tweaksā€™

4 Likes

Okay, if youre that 1% then I feel bad for you. Gnome does have its own style, I respect that. But when you actually remove the functionality to use the desktop thats exactly like Google, they remove something users care about but because its too good we dont care, we use it anyways. Gnome just added one option to turn on the desktop if you wanted, but you actually had to install something else to get something like the desktop to function. Thats bad, atleast have the gnome tweaks preinstalled. Not every distro support the desktop tab inside tweaks either.

If you turn that option ON, all you get is the option to add folders, you cant even create documents or textfiles to take notes, no, you gotta open the menu (activities lolā€¦) and open a document/textfile from there, then save that file -> to the desktop. Thats like 50 more steps to click around to actually just take a note and put it on the desktop.

If you wanted to continue arguing with me, I can do that. But I have the upperhand until something in the gnome community changes hardcore. This is one of the top desktops and I think it should suit every user and beginner user that actually over 50% of them come from Windows that use the DESKTOP as their primary use, daily.

If I was to be the one to start this riot, I can tell you(Gnome Devs) to copy the hell out of LinuxMint and push their desktop to Gnome. Gnome will become even more popular and support all kinds of users.

I can see you use Pop!_OS, Love that distro my man, but, sadā€¦ its got the same desktop functionality. Not a winner to me.

Thank you for reading this hate letter. I wanna apologize in advance for hurting any of your feelings reading this. Thank you!

actually what you posted in your op was pretty nice. i donā€™t argue with you because your not wrong (not right either).

i felt compeled to reply just because this is the purism forums. pureOS uses vanilla debian gnome DE experience. if you donā€™t like that then you can change it or use something else entirely - such is FREEDOM - on the other hand itā€™s not wrong that you are voicing your complaints but perphaps this is not the best place/way to do it.

you didnā€™t hurt my feelings. when i was younger i used to think that computers were great but nowadays i just search and use what sucks-less.

3 Likes

Yes. PureOS isā€¦ Pure. But if we were to talk about PureOS, then I think they should have, stillā€¦ created something unique. There are alot of those Pure distros.

Also, was that even Pop!_OS? Now that I look closer it feels ike Ubuntuā€¦ With those on/off buttonsā€¦

itā€™s still based on debian so it matters little what it is ā€¦ canā€™t wait for my librem 5

You talk about tweaks etc, but you disregard history completely. Gnome had a fully functional desktop as Gnome2. They decided to disrespect their users, throw everything in the garbage can, and start something new retaining the name as Gnome, which was a power show-off, a brutal mentality. It is like Purism stop selling Librem5 as expected and start selling Windows machines under the Librem5 brand. As you understand I have very negative feelings for these guys and their actions. And personally I know no power-user that uses Gnome3.

I am grateful to the mate-desktop guys and girls. KDE too. But also other desktops that make you feel at home. Even CDE in its GPLed version. But no Gnome3. People have memory. And we will not forget the gnome guys.

I expect a librem13 to arrive to my University in Greece. First action: remove Gnome.

3 Likes

They didnā€™t throw anything, you are free to continue using Gnome2/MATE if you want to.
The GNOME devs wanted to make gnome 3 and they did, that was their choice and it was their mistake that they didnā€™t listen more to the users before starting working on it. Yes it was a failure at release but after some iterations Gnome3 it is now popular again after many years of refinement so apparently most people donā€™t hate it anymore.

Good for you, but no one cares. I donā€™t use gnome either but I donā€™t feel the need to shit all over it when I have the option to switch. Hate against GTK is one thing as it is a necessary toolkit for many apps which donā€™t have a competitor, but hate against Gnome3 which is easily replacable is just stupid.

5 Likes

Thank you, @antonis. Atleast you understand this.

@johan-bjareholt. You on the other hand, need to realize that some people are different than others. People using Linux most likely only have Gnome and KDE as an option. That makes it very hard, sure KDE can be used, but I just feels like its too much and very hard to find things and navigate around. I cant trust it. Gnome is ā€œperfectā€ for simplicity but after Gnome 3, it turned bad. Complete garbage. Its unusable now. Everyone care about @antonis, he is also a person. If he wanted to share his life then go ahead. His opinions matter alot, thats how everything happen, well except Gnome, they shit on us.
Gnome has good features, thats why I like to use it. But just the other day, I installed Gnome. I got an error installing Arc Menu. I just quit and will never come back to Gnome again. Unless they change everything, then yes.

Were you there when they switched? Because I very well remember that there was a time that nobody had access to Gnome2 on modern distributions. Mate appeared much later. My choice was back to ā€¦AfterStep since KDE at that time required a supercomputer to run on. I think you were not thereā€¦

It is their software. Great. They can keep it.

Many years of refinement or many years of advertisement being the default desktop on most distributions? Do you remember the reaction of Linus? Do you claim he hated GTK?

Do not project on me. I do not hate anything. Neither Gnome nor GTK. You make invalid assumptions.

I am sorry to say that they copied the mentality of Windows. You will do only what I allow you to do, and this is very little, and I will put my software everywhere so that you canā€™t escape it and eventually you will like it. So sweetā€¦

1 Like

um ā€¦ why do you say gnome 3 is unusable for power users ? what power user features would not be achievable with some tweaking ?

my only complaint is that it is bloated software that much i can agree on ā€¦ but it works great with wayland/weston on amd vega so ā€¦ well KDE as well but it has too many options and configuration schemes for my needs ā€¦

I was using Openbox at the time so I really wasnā€™t in the loop. I have only just tried Gnome3 in the last few years. I like things that can be configured extensively and without too much effort, especially because I donā€™t have as much time to mess around as I used to. So in that sense, Gnome3 frustrates me. Gnome2 was quite a bit better in that regard. I like things that are designed with customisation in mind, rather than an afterthought. It feels like an afterthought on Gnome3.

I personally donā€™t hate Gnome3. It works pretty well. But I donā€™t love it either. And to agree with previous comments, it is pretty bloated. I hope with Purism working on it as the default desktop environment, that some good things will happen.

I havenā€™t played much with KDE over the years because it was never really my thing, and also bloated. I will definitely be trying it again on the Librem 5 though! Along with any other cool things that people work on. :slight_smile:

To the other part of the topic, it will be interesting to see how well the apps from the community integrate into the user experience.

They have Gnome, MATE, KDE, Xfce, lxde, lxqt, budgie, pantheon, cinnamon, openbox just to name a few, thatā€™s more than two options. When I gave my old laptop to a friend last year to try out Linux on I gave him a USB with 5 distros with 5 different DEs and told him to try each one out and choose the one he preferred.

Yes I was there. Ubuntu 10.10 still had Gnome2 installed on the ISO, but you had to choose ā€œfallbackā€ when logging in to access it. Ubuntu 11.04 dropped it, but it was still in the repos and installable with a single apt-get command. Also, I do acknowledge that Gnome3 was a failure when it was new.

I am astounded that people shit so much on Gnome, if you donā€™t like it simply donā€™t use it. The more popular a DE becomes the more development it will get and the higher quality a DE has the more likely it is that a distro makes it their default. You vote with what you use.

4 Likes

GNOME 3 is great. Stays out if my way when Iā€™m working but allows some really cool default keyboard centric controls.

There is a reason many of the top linux distros chose or are moving to GNOME 3 as the flagship version. Because it really is good.

1 Like