Gnome-logs not working after systemd update

After the recent update to systemd, I have found I cannot launch gnome-logs anymore. This application is key to my process for security monitoring. The error on the terminal is:

** (gnome-logs:4933): WARNING **: 07:53:50.367: Error retrieving the sender timestamps: Cannot assign requested address
Segmentation fault

I did check permissions and they seem to be the same.

I wonder if others see this and if there are suggestions. I did find someone reporting this on github but it was six months ago.

Biting my tongue…

gnome-logs v3.30.0-2
systemd v240-5pureos1

Running gnome-logs here does the same thing;

** (gnome-logs:443): WARNING **: 15:11:34.104: Error retrieving the sender timestamps: Cannot assign requested address
Segmentation fault

Thanks for trying it. Unfortunately for us, the problem went away for the poster at gnome-logs, so there are no hints. I do not see additional information in my logs or when searching. I installed gnome-system-log, and it seems to work. Unfortunately, the presentation requires more log reading.

We currently track Debian testing. This means that there are a lot of changes to PureOS. We realize that this is perhaps not the optimal solution for everyone so we plan to move to a more stable base in the future. That stable base is going to be Debian stable which will be code named ‘Buster’. We believe this will greatly minimize the changes to packages that can occasionally cause issues on the Librems.

Unbeknowst to me, a suggestion was made to fix this problem. It can be found here and seems to work for me.

1 Like