Google Chrome serious vulnerabilities (May 2024)

If anyone is running Google Chrome, it has had some serious vulnerabilities fixed recently e.g. CVE-2024-4671 and CVE-2024-4947. For Linux it looks like you need to get to version 124.0.6367.207

Chrome has had a bad run this year with serious 0-days but that isn’t the reason I personally refuse to install Chrome on any computer that I use.

In general these vulnerabilities are exploited by maliciously crafted web sites. So if you only visit trusted, well-maintained web sites - and don’t allow yourself to be tricked into visiting other web sites, you should be OK for these particular vulnerabilities until you have upgraded.

I don’t have the details for Chromium but I suspect it needs to get to the same version.

Firefox is the only browser (in practice) that does not have this particular vulnerability (-4671) - but that is not to say that it doesn’t have its own set of vulnerabilities.

3 Likes

Thanks. Sometimes I use Brave Browser even though realistically Chromium as a monopoly conceptually seems very bad and is best avoided.

1 Like