GTD planner software that plays well with Linux?

I’m looking to replace my online planner with local planning software, preferably open source.

Ideally it would allow me to sync to my devices locally, and not store data on the web.

And ideally it works well with the GTD (Getting Things Done) framework.

Anyone found some good open source solutions that work well with Linux?

This app might interest you: Getting Things GNOME:

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnome.GTG

1 Like

please tell us what you find out.

i use heavily hacked org-mode in heavily hacked emacs. this works better than nothing but could be much better with more hacking that i don’t have time for. this is an option for me because i’ve devoted lots of time to learning how to hack emacs. i know some people use org-mode in emacs without heavily hacking it and i wonder why that is satisfactory or even good for them.

i’d be very interested in learning about other gtd solutions using only libre software. ideally based on plain text files. if there’s a database involved, it should be one with good cli interface. i can deal with gui software provided there is a way around the gui to manipulate the data directly when needed.

long live libre software and hardware!

If I recall I had a hard time creating a sync solution with Android/IOS. Were you able to get it to sync?

Emacs is Universe. Org-mode is Life.

1 Like

I also tried to get a GTG to Android-ish solution going, but couldn’t get it to go. In the end, I just used the Calendar as David Allen suggested and used Joplin for the memos/task/etc aspect. Joplin can sync across devices using encryption on your own choice of cloud, including NextCloud.

Pity. I would have liked to use GTG with Android sync, too. But… 🤷

Joplin, and Standard notes. I would say Standard Notes is better suited for short notes with higher security. Joplin with the webclipper has been the best replacement for server based journals for banal online research.

I still don’t get the Emacs thing. Those that love it really love it. Most hate it. I tried, but the onboarding was too cumbersome for me. Visual Studio Code, (the only thing Microsoft has put out that I can endorse), that learning curve was much easier. Maybe if Emacs has a compelling benefit I’m not seeing, I’ll revisit it.

Yes, I also use Standard Notes for simpler notes that I don’t need to write in Markdown, for which Joplin is excellent.

People like Emacs for different reasons. Here’s my PoV and story.

I started using serious editors for serious programming ~ 15 years ago. I tried out Emacs first, didn’t like it (partly because of all the undeserved flack it was getting). I switched to Vim, became a power user and then, after a few years, I got to the point where I had multiple programs written in multiple languages, some of them interactive, some of them compilable … to handle all these things in the same time (especially the interactivity), Emacs simply felt better. It stayed competitive all these years as it matured through its packages. I cannot imagine writing a serious piece of software without ivy, or vertico, magit, and others (it would have been a different set of packages just six years ago) . Of course, my build is heavily customised so t it fits like a glove.

Also, I love Lisp and other Lisp-based languages.

Truth to be told, even if some other editor eventually overtakes emacs, Emacs is emblematic for Free Software, GNU and FSF and this is why I am going to continue using it. Microsoft is the only thing Microsoft cares about. Suddenly they figured they need to swim in a world dominated by Free software. The consequence is the takeover of github and products such as VSC.

1 Like