GTK4.0+ support to Librem 5

I finally compiled Shortwave 3.0 with GTK 4.6.5 Purely on the Libre PureOS Byzantium. Like unflatpaked apps.
It really work powerfully & fast and smoother gtk4.6.5 apps. Special thanks to Purism Team for building gtk4.6.5 to PureOS.
Huges thanks to @evangelos.tzaras

10 Likes

It really work powerfully & fast and smoother gtk4.6.5 apps. Special thanks to Purism Team for building gtk4.6.5 to PureOS.
Huges thanks to @evangelos.tzaras

Thanks, this warms my heart :slight_smile:

The backport would’ve been a lot more painful were it not for all the help by Alexander Mikhaylenko!

4 Likes

When will GTK4&libadwaita be default on Librem5? And when will they update to Gnome 42?

2 Likes

Since the latest Debian 11 (Bullseye) uses 3.38, GNOME 42 won’t be available until Debian 12 (Bookworm) which is not released yet. PureOS is still based on Debian 10 (Buster), so it will probably take years.

The migration of apps to GTK4+libadwaita will be gradual, GTK3 and GTK4 will be available in parallel so all apps won’t even be ported for Debian 12. So there is no “default” GTK version and there never will, it’s only a matter of more or less apps ported over to GTK4. PureOS backports some apps though, so more important apps will probably get upgraded to GTK4+libadwaita even before PureOS is based on Debian 12 (some apps based on GTK4+libadwaita are already backported right now to PureOS, for example Calendar and Weather).

3 Likes

Thanks for the information that GNOME 42 is closely related to the Debian 12 release date! But even if not expected from yourself, and neither from myself, Debian 12 official timeline is already published/known: https://release.debian.org/testing/freeze_policy.html. Therefore I’d positively count that sometime around August 2023 Linux community and in particular PureOS community will get what @pit asked here.

1 Like

Thanks for this. Would it be possible to backport GTKMM 4 as well?