Has anyone else started getting capchas with duckduckgo?

This just started happening to me.

2 Likes

I occasionally see gatekeeping from Startpage. See: https://support.startpage.com/hc/en-us/articles/5144367949716-Startpage-s-use-of-CAPTCHAs

3 Likes

Based on what @amarok said about Startpage, it would seem that @j_s should check for the same thing in the DDG documentation or if that fails then ask them.

1 Like

Mmm yes, instead of asking olif other people are having an issue with a company we should check with that company to see if they’re doing what another company is doing…

2 Likes

No, i am not seeing any change in captcha frequency with my usage of ddg

2 Likes

Neither of those would actually answer my question.

I don’t know why there is such a strong bias here against asking around about whether something is common or widespread before entering a possibly deep time sink trying to chase something with unknown context down.

For the record no VPN, tor, or IP address change involved, and nothing like this happened to me before in over a decade of duckduckgo at work and at home.

When I tried again a few hours later, DDG worked normally for me, as it has so far, since.

3 Likes

Thanks. So that implies you’ve encounterd captchas at ddg from time to time. Were they triggered by something about your configuration?

1 Like

Extremely infrequently, not something I make note of and nothing has changed from my perspective.

2 Likes

Thanks.

It happened to me twice in a row. Then I tried from another computer on the same LAN and also got a captcha there. I decided to cool it for a while and ask here.

2 Likes