Has anyone here been able to successfully use NordVPN on the Librem 5?

I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the time and effort to try it. Thanks.

1 Like

Are you seeking more specific knowledge about the experience of using NordVPN on the Librem 5? For example, I see that there is no official GUI for Linux, though there is an unofficial GUI application for it (https://github.com/imatefx/nordvpn-gui; use at your own risk).

I’ve tried Mullvad on my Librem 5, and I can tell you that their official app runs in the background and I haven’t noticed any hits to the device’s performance.
I imagine NordVPN’s client would be similar, and using the OpenVPN or WireGuard configs directly with the network connection manager should work just as well.

4 Likes

I’ve been able to use it over mobile and wireless connections. I had the binary, but I’ve fallen back to just importing the OpenVPN profiles and managing my connections through Network Manager. I haven’t had any issues at all.

6 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Do you guys have any link or instructions how to do this with Network Manager?

1 Like

I haven’t done this in a while so these instructions may not be 100% correct.

1. Install OpenVPN. The line below is for the Terminal app. You may need to restart your device for the following steps to work, I think.
    sudo apt install openvpn network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome

2. Open the Settings app.
  3. Select the Network tab.
  4. Tap the ‘+’ icon under the VPN section. Select the “Import from file…” option, locate the OpenVPN configuration file, and select it.

You should be able to activate the VPN now.

Edit: I should have just looked for the NordVPN documentation: https://support.nordvpn.com/hc/en-us/articles/20347784574097-Connecting-to-NordVPN-Linux-Network-Manager.
The screenshots are definitely outdated but the overall instructions are valid. Instead of following step 3 from the link, open the Settings app and then select the Network tab. The remaining instructions should work.

1 Like

If you need some visuals: List of Apps that fit and function well [Post them here.] - #262 by amarok

2 Likes