[Help] QEMU Image mouse unusable

Hi guys, I recently downloaded the QEMU image on my windows laptop and I’ve been trying to use it.

However it’s simply unusable and I was wondering if anyone can help.

The image takes ages too boot (not a real issue) when it does the mouse simply doesn’t work. It jumps about the screen, doesn’t register properly when I click etc. So I can’t slide to unlock, I got in after trying the keyboard for some time however even this took a while.

Once I logged into with the passcode, the mouse became entirely unusable, I’m still on the Langauge page and every time I go to click next it throws the mouse about the screen some what randomly eventually landing back in the bottom left.

Unfortunately this makes the image unusable, does anyone know if a work around exists ?

Update: I have managed to use the keyboard to get past the set up ( I just couldn’t see that the next button was being highlighted when I hit tab) however the issue with the mouse and genral lag (although it’s not a powerful laptop) persists.

Sorry to say this, but I think this is related to your laptop. On mine with a i7-7700HQ and GeForce GTX 1060, the QEMU image is snappy without any problems. Only the mouse pointer is slightly out of sync because of the scaling. I’m running the image with Gnome Boxes and no further modifications.

I have a more powerful desktop at home maybe it is however I wouldn’t of expected it to keep throwing the mouse about.

What is the laptop spec?

A Print from DXDIAG

"
Processor: Intel I5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHZ (8 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory 16384MB RAM
"

EDIT: For reference I used to VM into Kali and other OS’s all the time with no issues at all.

Odd. I use libvirt and Virtual Machine Manager, and i have no issues on the Librem 5 VM.
What hardware specs are you giving the VM?

I use the PS1 provided by Purism however I changed the ram from 4G to 8G before. Thought it was worth a shot.

Try setting up the device as a virtio tablet. PS2 is completely unsuitable for VMs, tablet only.

Looks a reasonable spec for the purpose.

If it helps, this is the config I’m using for my VM in libvirt: https://pastebin.com/Dtc5Z1J5. I only gave it 3 GB of RAM to match the phone, and like I said, it runs without issues.

1 Like