So some Librem 5 Birch phones have been delivered and you can call but there is no sound. Todd wrote yesterday that it “will be a few days until the bug is fixed”: https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-birch-shipping-announcement/
I was thinking, why don’t we just go ahead and solve the problem here in this forum? If some of the lucky Birch owners are willing to run some tests, others can suggest troubleshooting steps, someone runs new tests, and so on. We could solve it before Purism does!
What would a reasonable troubleshooting of this issue look like?
Perhaps the problem can be split into some smaller ones, for example:
- Does the microphone work at all, can that be tested separately?
- Do the speakers work, test that separately?
- Can the CPU get access to the output from the microphone during a call? Maybe dump a recording to file, to check if that is working?
- Can the CPU create any kind of noise from the speakers during a call? Like playing whatever audio file while a call is active.
- Can the CPU access the audio coming from the cellular modem during a call? Maybe dump it to file to check that?
- Can the CPU generate some noise at the other end of the phone call, by somehow pushing data to the cellular modem while the call is active? Listen at the other end of the call to hear if any noise comes out on that end?
What do you think, does the above make sense? If so, how could such testing be done in practice? Are there other, better ways to troubleshoot?
Any Birch owners who would volunteer to do some testing?