It used to be in the experimental features of mobile settings and I ticked a box and then it installed the feature. It was actually surprisingly very helpful and easy (once I knew where to look). I haven’t been able to successfully get into jump drive hitting the up button after boot light turns on, but I don’t see the jump drive box anymore in the experimental features area. Is it still on my phone, its gone though some updates but I think I installed it on crimsons not before.
Jumpdrive is software that has to be ‘installed’ on your host computer, not on the Librem 5 itself.
Then whats the thing that allows you to transfer files from the librem 5 to your computer via usb cable? Once installed you turn the phone on and then once the light comes on you hold the volume up button and that puts the phone into transfer mode and you can do it. I installed it on the phone before and used it successfully, but now I can’t seem to press volume up and get it to enter the transfer mode.
I looked at this Librem 5 File Transfer – Purism and https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Jumpdrive/ but can’t seem to get the boot-purism-librem5.sh to run that's in the folder I downloaded, but im just following directions I don't know how to "run" that file so I try open in terminal, or "run as a program". It could be that I already have jumpdrive installed. Or idk. I used to be able to do it. It could be I'm forgetting a step trying get phone in transfer mode and otherwise it would work. The way I got jump drive on phone before was checking the box to install it in the experimental settings which worked easily, but its not in there anymore as an option (maybe b/c its installed already?).
For Jumpdrive I don’t know how up to date the following is but: L5 Backup/Restore: use Jumpdrive to expose eMMC/uSD storage to a host computer ($1205) · Snippets · GitLab (but obviously don’t go ahead and actually do a backup unless that is what you want to do).
As the link in this post says, the purpose of Jumpdrive is to expose the drives that are on the Librem 5 via USB as if they were like USB flash drives connected to the host computer. What you do after that on the host computer is up to you.
It is unclear whether what you want to do here is best served by some simple “file transfer” or you actually need Jumpdrive. There are two main purposes of Jumpdrive:
- you can access the drives on the Librem 5 even when the Librem 5 is not properly booting or otherwise malfunctioning e.g. you mis-configured something and you need to fix it by changing a file on the Librem 5
- you can access the drives on the Librem 5 when the Librem 5 itself is not using the drives i.e. you can image the drive and know that the copy has integrity
A reasonable approach for simple “file transfer” would be to enable the SSH server on the Librem 5 and then use a GUI SFTP client like FileZilla on the host computer to browse and transfer files.
Edit: PS If using the SSH server as the approach for transferring files then there is no need for a USB cable. You are just accessing the Librem 5 via the local network e.g. via WiFi. However it should also work via USB cable.
There’s also the possibility that you have an old jumpdrive installed (or even old and new, which was a headache to figure out at one point, speaking from experience), which will cause problems.