How do you VoiP with Librem 5?

What? I have a voip line for 3 bucks a month. Adding a few nice features on to it brings it up to like 8 bucks a month.

Do more research.

Any time a product is free, you are the product. I anticipate having the ability to trade some of my money to regain my privacy, after I receive my Librem 5. Right now with Android and Apple, sure, there is always someone who is willing to take your money. But you still won’t get privacy nor Security even if you use a paid service.

I’ll be happy to trade Google Voice and other free services for a paid service when the time comes (when I actually have my Librem 5). It should be possible to find a paid service for a reasonable monthly fee. But you’ll still need to take precautions to maintain your Security even then. The point is that paying a fair price is a good thing. We need to create markets for many of the free services that we are getting now if we really care about security and privacy in the long term. When you pay for something, you have a right to make reasonable demands to the supplier. If they don’t meet the agreed upon terms (like if they sell your information) then that’s what class action lawsuits are for. Right now, most of us are whoring ourselves out to Google or to Apple because of the extreme convenience that we get in return for having little to no privacy. When you take your power back, a part of doing that is to offer a free trade to your suppliers. You want to set boundries to only sell what you want to sell, and pay cash so that the other party receives some kind of compensation and is also accountable to you.

I was on the Advisory board for the college that I graduated from, several years after I graduated. At one point, someone there said that I should teach classes. The college offered me less than a new college graduate should get paid. And I had twenty years of industry experience at that point. I really wanted to work with and teach those kids (actually young adults) because the cause was worthy. But I couldn’t bring myself to work for what they were offering me. It was about the number and what my time is worth, not about how much money I wanted to make. So I offered to teach a class for free instead of accepting payment for less than my time was worth. They wouldn’t take that offer. A year later, they went out of business. Sometimes if you are not willing to pay a fair price, the deal is bad to begin with.

2 Likes