How long is the lifetime of Librem 5?

those tech reviewers are propaganda instruments and rarely provide any real benefit to the public other than except the unboxings and the video content itself. most audio can be muted anyway. i watch to get a “feel” of the packaging and build quality and just see if i can spot any “quirks” up close before i make a decission. most of the time it’s “meh ! does it have a swapable/user-replaceable battery ?”

we’re living in a day when books that teach you how to not give a f**k actually have a legitimate reason to be written (in this context ofc).

2 Likes

About how bad the “fixing not allowed” can get: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/08/apple_battery_authentication/

3 Likes

What Apple is doing with its secret battery “calibration” tool is evil, because only Apple (and a few licensed shops like Best Buy) can use it, but at least you can still change the battery and ignore the message that the battery needs “service.”

The really evil things that Apple is doing is making it impossible to obtain OEM parts, mandating that recyclers destroy the machines so that parts can’t be reused, abusing intellectual property laws to ban the importation of refurbished Apple parts, creating software updates that stop replaced Home buttons or replaced screens from working, and designing special chips like the T2, which makes it impossible to replace certain components on the motherboard.

It is worth watching Louis Rossmann’s video about Apple’s war on 3rd party repair:

7 Likes

Or best case scenario, as this might be the start of running into the future (as of today): Grabat’s batteries will have an energy density of 1,000 Wh/kg (lithium batteries = 180 Wh/kg). I’m sure Purism speaks Spanish as well (asking is free of charge). Actually, I’ve read somewhere: “Even though PureOS may improve over time, we know that batteries don’t.” Yes, battery change to something cheaper (in long term probably), yet much safer for our health, is just about here.

2 Likes

I work on (5G) networks for a living, and can guarantee, that this will not be a major issue for a long time.
LTE isn’t going to be shut down any time soon and I would bet, that LTE coverage will not significantly drop due to 5G in the next 5 years, maybe 10.

Right now, 5G is strictly supplementary and cannot even work without LTE. In the future, 5G can be standalone, but has strong backward compatibility to LTE.
5G and LTE can be run simultaneously in the same channel, which costs some performance for 5G but will be used for a while in the next 5-10 years to make sure LTE coverage doesn’t decrease.

After that period it is to be expected, that some of the bands currently used for LTE will be switched over to 5G only mode; then coverage for LTE will decrease and it’s time to think about moving to 5G.
By that time it might even be possible to replace the LTE modem in the Librem by a 5G part (which would be limited to the sub-6 GHz bands like LTE, but not experience any drop in coverage).

5 Likes

Tee hee, I’d kill to see Mr. Regular from regular car reviews review it because

• He’s done things other than cars before
  • Can appreciate things outside of traditional marketing points
  • FEEDOM!
  • tiiiiiiime to wipe

:smiley:

1 Like

These are anti-features. :slight_smile:

I imagine that facial recognition could be added in software if someone desperately wants that.

4 Likes

My phone probably uses at least twice that per day, given that I always have to use my 10000Mah battery pack to get through the day and have even depleted it on the longest days, but to be fair all my batteries are very old.

This seems like a topic that doesn’t get old, so I’m adding the thread…

It appears that, there are at least attempts by the rest of the world to catch on to this idea of phones that lasts a bit longer (changeable battery, updates beyond a couple of years, repairability etc. - sound familiar?). Now EU is proposing regulation that requires these and more. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/eu-regulators-want-5-years-of-smartphone-parts-much-better-batteries/ Only downside I see is, that they should have made it progressing - require more over time. Industry, of course, has other views.

1 Like