Python version: 3.7.3 final 0
Distributor ID: PureOS
Description: PureOS
Release: 9.0
Codename: amber
Exception information:

local variable ‘cnf’ referenced before assignment
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/command-not-found/CommandNotFound/util.py”, line 23, in crash_guard
callback()
File “/usr/lib/command-not-found”, line 93, in main
if not cnf.advise(args[0], options.ignore_installed) and not options.no_failure_msg:
UnboundLocalError: local variable ‘cnf’ referenced before assignment

Sounds like command-not-found is either too old or too new.

The problem you see there is really a bug in the “command-not-found” package, nothing related to xed other than that xed is not installed.

It should give you a nice message saying that the command “xed” was not found, and possibly suggesting packages that could be installed to get it.

If you just type any bogus command that does not exist, probably you get the same kind of error message about command-not-found having crashed?

To avoid getting such “command-not-found has crashed” messages whenever you type a command that does not exist, you can simply remove the command-not-found package, like this:

sudo apt remove command-not-found

After that, it should just say “xed: command not found” when you try the xed command.

Of course, for the xed problem what you really need is to find some way to install xed, which I don’t know how to do. :slight_smile:

@jeremiah are you aware of the command-not-found issue? I have it on my Librem 13 as well, unless I remove the command-not-found package which was installed by default in PureOS even though it does not seem to work.

1 Like

Unless you are particularly attached to xed what happens if you do

gedit admin:///etc/sysctl.conf

instead?

1 Like