How to contribute as a non-developer?

That would be great. I am done with translations (approx. 0,5 h for Chatty). Now trying to merge that into repository and struggling with non-developer ready documentation (apporx. 3 h). That does not pay off. I am close to giving up helping.
@david.boddie You urgently have to ease this process or describe it in a better way. So more people can help. Because I think there are others also willing, but not capable of doing so.

@aircan, Did you try filing an issue report and attaching your file to the report?

I think that is the best solution for non-developers who are unfamiliar with git.

How can I run the image:
I use Aquemu 0.9.2 (ubuntu 20.04), using instructions shown here: https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/AQEMU/
and got the following screen:

Is this your translation?

I noticed that there is an FAQ about translations that mentions just attaching the PO file to an issue. I guess the documentation needs to be updated to mention that - it’s news to me that translations can be added that way.

Yes. After I found out, that there are two german files (de.yaml and de_DE.yaml) I finalized the second one, too and attached it just before these lines here.

A bit more context would be very helpful, since a sole English word e.g. “copy” can be a german verb or noun and is then translated differently (‘kopieren’ vs. ‘Kopie’).
Context shall come from e.g. qemu that I am still not able to run smoothly. I still do not get behind the “enter password screen”.

That’s part of the problem - one listed in translations thread - as currently it is not clear how translations should be done (even with my or @amosbatto’s advises since we’re guessing from the outside and do not know what’s is supposed to be happening). There area issues, like, if commits are done in DL, they do not update and apprently need to be uploaded by hand - which also kinda borks any version control as the files are with each translator… etc. Moving to DL seems to have been a huge mistake if it can’t be fixed and automated.

I myself would be interested in assisting would the first reply by @amosbatto still be applicable to today? I’m pretty good at catching bugs and writing detailed reports.

On a side note I eventually would like to assist software side particularly in making existing applications more responsive and some GTK development. Any suggestions on how I can make my way towards doing that? Many thank yous in advance.

Yes, it is still very relevant today.

Read the documentation for libhandy to learn how to use the Handy classes to make GTK software adaptive. Also see the developer documentation. If you have questions, you can ask on the Matrix channel #libhandy:talk.puri.sm

If you want to make Qt/KDE software adaptive, then learn how to use Kirigami.

Then, check this list for apps that need work to become adaptive.

2 Likes