How to delete user-created web app from app drawer

For Purism Team: Is there a way to delete a personally created web app?
A long press on the icon only offers “Add to Favorites”.

Related: Is there a way to rename a web app after you’ve created it? (e.g. From “www.startpage.com” to “Startpage”).

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure where the .desktop files are saved, but try looking under ~/.local/share/applications - if you see what you are looking for, you can delete that file to remove it from the app drawer, or edit that file to change the name to be what you want

If you created it in Web, that application has its own “Web Application Manager” you can use to remove webapps you created with it.

6 Likes

Awesome! That works. Thanks, Kyle.

I don’t see it (and yes I’m showing the hidden files, too) in that particular location, but it sounds like it would logically be findable and deletable that way. Thanks.

Drop $Drawers? (Duck)

I found this directory: ~/.local/share/org.gnome.Epiphany.WebApp-***, where *** is the app name plus a bunch of numbers, and deleting this folder & restarting did indeed remove the icon, but for all I know that’s still not the whole picture and what Kyle said sounds far easier to do.

I wonder if there is any command for “refreshing” the app grid though, as I had to reboot to remove the icon.

1 Like

if you do a find on the source code for one the more reasonable search terms that would resonate with ‘web’ or ‘app’ ‘remove’ ‘delete’ etc. it would surely spit something back (if you get lucky on the search).

if somebody can point out a search-term that definitely works then that’s even better :wink:

As suggested already, use the Web Application Manager. I don’t know how easy it would be to add a “remove” action to the menu you get by long-pressing the icon in the app drawer – that would be a useful and possibly more convenient feature than having to go via the Manager each time.

1 Like

Since when a website link/shortcut/bookmark became a “webapp” that you “install”…? And then you use a “Web Application Manager”, and then you use so and so… etc… Crazy complicated stuff and words to cover up simple and intuitive concepts… why?

Probably something like Web Shortcuts would be better, I guess.

1 Like

Windows did very well with the shortcut concept - a way to help easy launching an application from a preferred menu or desktop. It also had that arrow on desktop icon to indicate it’s a shortcut. Crystal clear. Now come “Linux” and blur things, hide things, and makes a mess. The irony…

1 Like

“Linux”, meaning on the desktop, like Windows, also clearly identifies shortcuts with an arrow.
Mobile apps have never done so, but you’re right: it would be nice to identify web apps as shortcuts instead.

The Web application is the web browser to navigate the Web…
The Video Player application plays videos…

The Librem Social helps you socialize… The Librem Chat …

Blur everything… Paint over everything…

This is how the new “Linux” looks like.

‘Launcher’ could be a useful too…

i do think that how windows implemented shortcuts was handy, simple and clear enough for most people … other than that though …

Thanks guys for this topic! :handshake: I found something new and useful for me.

2 Likes

Epiphany’s (I cannot call it GNOME Web) web apps are stored at: .local/share/applications/
and they can be identified because they start with the name: epiphany

These web apps are sandboxed and the files at: .local/share/applications/ are basically sanboxed profiles with a Desktop shortcut/Icon in the app tray.

If you do a: ls .local/share/applications/ | grep epiphany from a terminal you can see a list of all your Web Apps.

joao@librem:~$ ls .local/share/applications/ | grep epiphany
epiphany-social.coletivos.org-8e56cb6abbd77ccfee878a8c90fe21b264858fc4.desktop
epiphany-social.librem.one-7af2955f5e8cacad60b210b765835d43ef5130a8.desktop
epiphany-suporte-27f6ecfdfc34209ef20c343e23f6fa73ed6e66c1.desktop

And if you are more inclined to use a terminal (but you don’t need to), you can remove them by deleting the file via terminal.

2 Likes

until tootle came along I used web app as a Librem One Social Desktop client