How to file bugs or feature requests?

how do i check for known bugs?
how to file a new bug?

how to know on which features purism is working on?
how to suggest new features?

how to know what was included in previous os update.
how to know what bug fixes and new features come with next update?

The Purism repositories are at https://source.puri.sm

You can find existing repositories and bugs/feature requests without an account. In order to file new bugs or comment, you will need an account and that requires manual intervention by a moderator due to earlier spam problems on that site.

Knowing what is included in an update depends on the level you are interested in. If you use the PureOS store for your updates, tapping on the listed update will show some information about included updates. You could instead use something like "apt changelog " to see change logs. Those are both pretty dependent on the developer including the changes, I think. If you find the repository for the package in which you are interested, you might be able to find the commits included in the release but I’ve sometimes found associating a package version in a package manager with a commit/branch/tag in a repository to be… hit-or-miss.

There is also a staging area for packages in PureOS that you can monitor, but I can’t remember how to get to that right now.

clicking on os updates:

purism@pureos:~$ sudo apt changelog
E: No packages found

what fixes/features are in 6.2.13?

what about a web-page showing what was done and what comes next?
kind of release calendar?

a nice chronological overview?

Not sure what that invocation was supposed to achieve. apt changelog linux-image-6.2.0-1-librem5 works fine. All packages contain changelog entries, and they’re being managed in git repositories with their own commit histories. Everything’s out there in the open, you can even build any kind of “nice chronological overview” you wish for by yourself.

4 Likes

well

purism@pureos:~$ sudo apt changelog linux-image-6.2.0-1-librem5
[sudo] password for purism:
E: Failed to fetch changelog:/linux-librem5.changelog Changelog unavailable for linux-librem5=6.2.13pureos2

as an example what i mean look at TrueNAS:

i dont want to gather such info on my own.
i want similar from you!

including bugs & new features!
a history and future!

1 Like

Add deb-src http://repo.pureos.net/pureos byzantium main to your sources.list

How to do gymnastics in the console was not my concern!
a simple list like displayed in above link “13.0 Release Notes” i want to see from Purism!

1 Like

Sometimes you can see in PureOS Store a description of the updates. But more often there is no change description.

2 Likes

I’ll give this a shot.

There are issue trackers in several places. I referenced the Purism developer wiki for the following info:

Popular issue trackers

There is also https://tracker.pureos.net/ for PureOS-related issues.

Go to the issue page in the corresponding software repository and click New issue in the top right corner of the page. This will take you to a form you can fill out and submit. You enter a subject and a description, and may also be able to tag the issue with certain flags like Bug, UI, etc.

Sometimes Purism developers say outright within these forums what they are actively working on. If you want a more direct view of what contributions are being made at a low-level, you can view the commits that are being performed within each repository. Here are the most recent commits for the calls app, for example.

For a higher-level view that is still within GitLab, view the project milestone page. This project management tool takes extra resources to prepare and isn’t populated within most projects I’ve seen, so please don’t assume one exists. Here are the milestones of the calls app as a basic example.

One common way to suggest a new feature is found in the issue page of each corresponding software repository. First, search to check if anyone else has already made the suggestion, including the closed issues, in case the change was previously rejected. If nothing is found, create a new issue. It is common to find feature request issues with a title such as “Feature Request: feature summary” and/or tagging the issue with e.g. a Feature Request tag, if one exists.

My answer here will be more generic than just a “previous os update” as I feel that topic has been covered by others in this thread.

Release notes are extremely handy to publish, but they are often arduous and time-intensive to create. For these reasons, they are only occasionally found in the wild and typically only on larger, higher-visibility projects or projects for which there are external stakeholders that want to see value-add reports at a glance.

Release notes are often sent to stakeholders directly but, on many open-source projects, they may be listed along with project releases or in the form of a blog post. See the release notes for the calls app for an example of how release notes may be published in conjunction with a formal software release.

This depends greatly on the many unknowns of humans in the loop of the software development cycle. If a project has an exceptionally mature and transparent product release structure and detailed/curated issue tracking, you may find a group of issues staged with a particular issue tag that would indicate that the issue is triaged or undergoing active development. Progression of milestones may also provide an indicator but, again, the mileage will vary between projects, products, developers, and companies.

My personal experience has shown that most teams/developers do not spend the extra time necessary to organize a project so thoroughly, and you’d have to ask them directly through GitLab, forums, IRC, etc, to know what is coming up next. Here is the Mastodon public roadmap as an example of what it looks like for a project to be very forthcoming about upcoming features and product considerations.

I’m not a developer. I am a normal user.
Keeping track of things, as you suggested, takes time and knowledge.

Real-life example (on the go) of why I don’t use the L5:

• Bluetooth stutters when I listen to music with my headphones (Sony WH1000MX3).
  • Surfing the web and watching videos through Firefox heats up the phone so much that you don’t want to hold it anymore.

For these two examples, it’s

• Bluetooth Audio
  • Hardware-accelerated video playback

I’m asking for an overview page with bug fixes and new features that link to the sources you mentioned. One could check such a page and decide to give the L5 another try. (users might return?!)

the wiki was modified 9 month ago:

in general the documentation is a joke.

look at TrueNas https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/corereleasenotes/#truenas-130-u4-changelog
is it so hard to provide such an overview?
one i can read/understan and also find via search engine!

pls point me to the two issue i have mentioned above so that i can track them!

Yeah nah. That just means that the top (of the tree) page was modified 9 months ago. Individual pages have been modified much more recently. For instance, you can see that I updated the Tested Accessories 6 days ago, and Tips & Tricks was updated 3 weeks ago. However those pages are maintained by the community i.e. are not official documentation anyway.

I dare say that the official documentation may be a bit sparse. I think the perspective from many has been that effort should be being put towards fixing problems, not documenting them, documenting their fixing, or improving the documentation. However you and many others might disagree.

when we will have v4l2 working with ffmpeg in pureOS?
can you provide a roadmap about what comes next?
a release calendar what was fixed and what will be fixed in-upcoming releases?!
(without git or console gymnastic, a simple list,pls)
up-to pureOS11 pls!

pls file a feature request for me to get video for linux with ffmpeg!

btw: pureOS10 software is pretty out-dated where the kernel is fresh!