How to get wifi to stay off by default after power-on and HWKS?

After I power-on L5 or after I enable HWKS for wifi/bt, the wifi always goes on, gets enabled on by default. Does anyone have any ideas how to disable and prevent that behavior? I’d like to have it either stay dead until I need it (and use software switches), or there to be a setting where this behavior can be selected.

1 Like

I don’t know whether this helps but I am pretty sure that this is normal Linux functionality. That is certainly the way it works on the (big) computer that I am typing on at the moment (NB: not running PureOS). There is of course no HKS so the WiFi card is physically detected at startup (lspci shows the card) but no wlan0 interface gets created because I have software turned-off WiFi. I think this is implemented by “rfkill”.

So the question is whether PureOS and/or the Librem 5 is doing anything to make this not work.

2 Likes

If the softswitch is wlan0 interface creation then that should be conditional and not automatic.

1 Like

It is conditional because there is a software setting that “enables” or “disables” WiFi. I happen to have that setting in the “disable” position, so wlan0 never gets created at startup but if I change the setting to “enable” then everything works normally (wlan0 gets created / it associates with my SSID / gets an IP address / …).

2 Likes

This doesn’t sound like what I’m describing and how L5 behaves or we’re not talking about the same thing. As is see it, if HWKS is used or L5 is powered on, wifi always goes to on/enabled and starts looking for networks regardless what softswitch selection has been before that. For comparison, BT starts off/disabled.

1 Like

Nope, sorry, I was the confused one. Almost right symptoms, mistaken icons and some intermitten connection problems, apparently. The BT is the one that doesn’t stay off.

1 Like

I do not experience the same issue using Byzantium or later. After reflashing my Librem 5 USA, one of the very first actions I perform is toggling off the Bluetooth, which does not change under normal usage.

1 Like

I doesn’t come automatically on after power cycle/reset? Ok, curious…

1 Like

The only time Bluetooth is ever enabled again is immediately after the next reflashing procedure. The camera and microphone are the only other features that are also manually disabled in the same time window. These three are disabled for at least two to four months or longer at a time with no exceptions.