How to make a Black “Dark mode”

Thank you so much.

The gtk.css is activated automatically, just by nature of its being located in the gtk-3.0 directory, which is itself located within the .config (i.e. system configurations) directory. In other words, Phone Shell (phosh) “consults” it, if you will, when it starts to run. (CSS for Firefox, for example, does a similar thing, by consulting a CSS file within the Firefox profile/directory. That’s how users can change appearance of tabs, colors, behavior, etc., in Firefox, if the Preferences/Settings interface doesn’t cover it.)

As a point of clarification, the gtk script I pointed you to does not activate any kind of dark mode, such as dark themes, dark icons, etc. It simply loads any custom background that you have designated for your app grid and the “launch” image (the image you see after you start an app, before the app fully loads).

It just so happens that your chosen background image is a simple black image (I think), so it’s understandable that you might call it “black/dark mode,” but that’s not what the script is actually doing.
:wink:

1 Like

You are not a teacher, are you?
Now I finally understand why I don’t see a difference.
Thank you for explaining the workings.
:+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like