How to uninstall ChatGPT?

Hi, after few weeks I turned on my L5 just to update it and I found ChatGPT installed! Honestly I don’t remember how/when I installed it but I’m trying to uninstall it but every command is unsuccessful!
I tried:
sudo apt purge chatgpt
flatpack uninstall chatgpt
sudo dpkg -r chatgpt
No success!
sudo dpkg -l doesn’t show chatgpt but I’ve installed it in my L5 and it’s working!! If I tap and keep pressed, then I tap on “view details” I receive: “Sorry! There are no details for that application.”
Help, please :pray:

2 Likes

Interesting. I’m pretty sure you’ve had to installed it. One thing to note is that linux makes difference between uppercase an lowercase letters, so your list is missing for instance “sudo apt purge ChatGPT” etc. But it’s likely that the app is not named that (OpenAI doesn’t have native aarch64 linux app, as far as I can find it [this doesn’t exclude that some dev named it that on desktop - which can be different from the actual package]). I would have though it was a flatpak, but no such luck (or it has been removed from flathub - unless you’ve used some other source).

Two ways to find out stuff: search journal for relevant key words/string with grep, or dig into the desktop shortcut file and see where it points to (folder and executable names should help to identify it). Also, with apt you have “list” command and you can give it “gpt” and “GPT” to find, and then use “info” to see what it is (note: there is a genuine package named “gpt” that is not AI).

3 Likes

That looks like it was installed as a Webapp with the Epiphany Browser. I believe you need to open the WebApp, go into the hamburger menu and uninstall it manually.

5 Likes

For applications installed by apt you can try:

history | grep install
or
history | grep *some-part-of-app-name*

to see what you might have installed.

If it might have been a flatpak, run:

flatpak list

2 Likes

Then:
“Open Application Manager”

“Delete” if you want to remove a webapp.

3 Likes

Yes! It was that!! Thank you!! :smiley::pray:
I hope one day Linux will give a command to recognise source of installed apps!

1 Like

From ChatGPT:

To get a complete list that includes not only packages installed via apt and dpkg but also those from other sources like Flatpak and web apps, you can use the following commands:

1. APT Packages

For packages installed via APT (including manually installed ones and those from Debian repositories):

apt list --installed

1. Flatpak Packages

If you’ve installed software via Flatpak, you can list the Flatpak packages with:

flatpak list

1. Web Apps (e.g., via GNOME Web or other tools)

Web apps can be registered in different ways, but you can try searching for them via the desktop files:

ls ~/.local/share/applications | grep -i webapp

This command searches for installed web applications in your user profile (they are often registered as .desktop files).

Is it true? So typing all those three commands I’ll have the whole, complete list of all apps installed in my Linux distribution?

1 Like

No, applications can also be installed using Python wheels.