How to upgrade from PureOS 9 to 10

Hey everybody it has been a while since I have been in here. I am curious how do I go about updating from PureOS 9 to 10. I heard there was going to be a Librem Manager but haven’t seen anything about that in a while. Is there a link that lays out how to switch for both Librem 5 and Librem 13?

Brandon, same thing happened to me last week. try the following .
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get -u dist-upgrade

this runs for awhile and requires a response or two.

then check version of your new OS.
cat /etc/os-release
and/or
lsb_release -a

Cheers

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from How to upgrade from PureOS 9 to 10:

For future L5 Amber user needing to upgrade to Byzantium. Here was how I got there.
I gave these instructions above a go and it just updated Amber to the latest version. I looked at the OS Release and it told me it was still PureOS 9. I went through the forums looking at what people did last year and the year before with the flashing scripts some of the commands weren’t striking correctly, so I moved on to another yet slightly similar discussion on the matter. After not having much success, I ended up going to the PureOS website and found these instruction at the bottom of the download page.

In editing the source file I ended up removing the fourth line “amber-phone” since I kept receiving errors for having it as byzantium-phone. I followed them exactly until I reached the full upgrade step where I ran into this.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libc6-dev : Breaks: libgcc-8-dev (< 8.4.0-2~) but 8.3.0-6 is to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Along with another package throwing the same error. I was a bit overwhelmed so I tried restarting it and doing some apt commands but nothing worked so I decided to try and simply remove the package like so

apt-get remove libgcc-8-dev

After the completion of the removal I went ahead and tried the final step again which with some luck I got a prompt to choose Y or N on roughly 451 packages being upgraded. After it completed 3 packages got kept back and I decided to restart it as the instructions stated.

The boot screen showed up like a homebrew screen from an video game emulator with Debian 11 and Librem 5 popping up in the background. I went ahead an explored around the new Byzantium install but still had these lingering packages that eventually I ended up either solving with

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

or

apt-get remove "package name"

Finally being on PureOS 10 on the L5 is absolutely exciting. The UI is stunning to say the least. It was exactly how I imagined it back when I got my L5 a year ago. Looking forward to all the new additions that are on their way. Cheers!

ALSO
If anybody knows how to remove the Debian 11 image on the boot screen so that it is just the L5 Please DM me. I would like to change that.

You can use those instructions for upgrading a PC.
If you want to upgrade the Librem 5 phone from Amber to Byzantium, you need to reflash the phone, which means losing the data on the phone. See: https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Development_Environment/Phone/Troubleshooting/Reflashing_the_Phone.html

2 Likes

THX for clarifying the different update procedure for the Librem 5.

The linked description did work for me.

I had to think twice only at one step:

Turn all Hardware-Kill-Switches off

“turn off” means here: All hardware must be enabled (powered).
Perhaps this could be clarified in the linked documentation

Definitely needs clarification.

FWIW, I took it to mean the opposite of what you suggested i.e. disable hardware, turn it off using the kill switch.

1 Like

Gawd, I hope they fix that for whatever follows Byzantium. The Pinephone Mobian Phosh is crap compared to the L5, but it was a painless upgrade there.

So do I.

I don’t know that the statement that you have to reflash is correct but that is certainly the most reliable way and if you choose to upgrade in situ then you are on your own if it goes pear-shaped (so image your phone first).

Also, because Byzantium introduced the LUKS encryption option for the root partition, it would be even harder to upgrade in situ if you were going from Amber unencrypted to Byzantium encrypted (and it is certainly recommended to use encryption in the general case).