How-to's and to-do's to L5 community wiki

People motivated to do these may not have their phones yet, but maybe some do. And maybe some aren’t doing anything like these, because they aren’t using L5 as their daily driver or the features aren’t there yet. Anyway, since there is some extra time in some people’s hands and some might be looking for something to do - little holiday project to gift to fellow enthusiasts - I figured starting to plan for needed how-to’s and to-do’s for the wiki might be in order. At least the one that are relevant to ease setup and migrating device, as well as starting off on the right foot, so as not to compromise security and privacy with own actions.

There is already the official user docs, for L5 and PureOS but there is a limit how much and what can be there. Less so in community wiki.

I’d prefer these to have some preamble about why and when to (and not) use them, both in regards to security/privacy aspect but also usability, so that user can evaluate appropriateness for their situation. Also links to further info and sources. Pics too. What is L5 specific should be written in detail, I would think, but if it’s said somewhere else openly already, linking there should be primary at this point (to avoid unnecessary work) and in the wiki there should be info on how applicable that info is to L5. Maybe someone has come across a very good example of a well structured how-to that could be imitated…?

Updating list:

How to:

• Importing/exporting info (Gnome, CalDAV and CardDAV)
    – Contacts: How to import to L5 and how to export from X [spIphone, Andr, N900, Symbian…]
    – Contacts: How to easily edit and update them, combine multiple sources etc. (how to do a bit of upkeep before importing them to L5 as some may have varying writing formats, missing international country codes, several sources for numbers, emails and other contact info)
  • setting up email, including PGP
  • VPN setup, use and how to make selection and where to get info and reliable comparisons
  • Browsers and settings, tweaks and add-ons (if and why or not)
  • Backups (in general and specifically L5 - several options with pros/cons)
  • Recovery of backups
  • Convergence
  • Anbox (and other droid related stuff - how to make work, how to secure)
  • Web apps
  • Using the cloud (Nextcloud and others)
  • Booting (from USB and microSD and test point options)
  • Gathering and comparing mobile SoC’s and other HW info (how to measure, metrics, apps to use and what to gather and how to compare)
  • Various remote connection alternatives, setups, uses, security aspects (SSH, VNC, Teamviewer…)
  • 2FA options
  • disc and partition encryption options
  • file transfer options (speed, security, gui, commandline,…)

Distros:

• Compiling PureOS for the Librem 5
  • Phosh on other phones
  • postmarketOS on the Librem 5
  • Using Plasma Mobile (on the Librem 5)
  • Using Ubuntu Touch (on the Librem 5 – I assume this will eventually happen)

Localization and internationalization

• Using localization (instructions how to set the keyboard, locale and language)
  • How to translate/localize (for now, see here)
  • creating keyboard layout (there is a page for it already)

Hardware

• Creating hardware mods (probably two main categories: mechanical/non-electronic like cases, and
    feature mods that have some electronics components)
    – Creating custom cases (with info about how to 3D print cases)
    – Test Points
  • OpenPGP card (not much known at this point)

Other wiki stuff todo:

• Pictures of the Librem 5
  • Comparing mobile SoC’s (the data)
  • A better style guide
  • A listing of the reviews for the Librem 5
  • A more complete Tips and Tricks page broken into more sections
  • Available apps (with a list of the apps in the PureOS store, a short description and links for where to get more info).

Anyone interested in starting to sort this out or straight up write one…? The new users might have some ideas based on what they’ve done already.

Yes, that is the community wiki I mentioned. I’m talking about the content of the wiki, one section of it. It could, (maybe should) be planned a bit. Makes for a more coherent and worthwhile whole.

The front page should be more complete with links to all the available pages on it. The current sidebar isn’t very useful for navigation, because it requires clicking through several pages to see the entire list of available pages.

Here are some other pages that I would like to see in the wiki:

• Convergence
  • Anbox
  • Compiling PureOS for the Librem 5
  • Web apps
  • postmarketOS on the Librem 5
  • A better style guide
  • Pictures of the Librem 5
  • A listing of the reviews for the Librem 5
  • Available apps (with a list of the apps in the PureOS store, a short description and links for where to get more info).
  • Importing/exporting info (Gnome, CalDAV and CardDAV)
  • Using the cloud (Nextcloud and others)
  • Booting (from USB and microSD and test point options)
  • Backups and Recovery
  • OpenPGP card (not much known at this point)
  • A more complete Tips and Tricks page broken into more sections
  • Web browsers
  • Test Points
  • Creating custom cases (with info about how to 3D print cases)
  • Phosh on other phones
  • Using Plasma Mobile (on the Librem 5)
  • Using Ubuntu Touch (on the Librem 5–I assume this will eventually happen)
  • Using localization (instructions how to set the keyboard, locale and language)
  • How to translate/localize
  • Creating hardware mods
  • Comparing mobile SoC’s

Those are the pages that I would like to see off the top of my head, but I’m finding it difficult just to keep the FAQ up to date, so I’m not sure now many more wiki pages I’ll create, so this is a list of suggestions for others if anyone has spare time to work on it.

2 Likes

Can you add VNC to the list as well?

Updated the list on the first post and tried to sort them a bit. @amosbatto your book (FAQ) on L5 is great and I wouldn’t expect you to stretch yourself more than is comfortable - or anyone else either. With a list like this, a bit of prioritization is needed. A couple of items on your good listing may be such that possibly @david.boddie might want to write something official on the user or dev docs. Also, a couple of items may raise some interest and co-operation possibilities with PP users etc. too - could cross link.

I turned the first post to wiki.

If something needs to be added to the official documentation, please create issues in one of these two places:

Has “eventually” happened yet or is it a ‘probability’ or ‘possibility’ still?
~s

My guesses are:

• no, “eventually” has not happened yet, and
  • no, it’s not a “probability”

It’s always a “possibility”.

The official web site to answer that question, and many more in the world of Ubuntu Touch is: https://ubports.com and you can click on “Devices” to assess the state of play on various hardware platforms.

1 Like

I have to admit, that prediction has not aged well :sweat_smile:
But it would still be interesting if such a project would happen (a fraction of a possibility maybe).

Just my opinion: a lot oft the topics are not Librem5 related, but topics on Linux in general. They are covered elsewhere or need to be discussed in the context of PureOS or Linux in general.

So far Ubuntu Touch wasn’t really feasible on Librem 5 because of their massively outdated base system. Seems like they recently had some progress on updating it though. Nevertheless, running Lomiri on Debian/PureOS seems like an achievable possibility in a not very far future.

3 Likes