How would I go about running Whatsapp on Librem5?

Is the Pidgin Whatsapp plugin still being maintained?

It appears the Pidgin Telegram plugin does not keep a history of your chats. Is that really the case? And does that go for all of the plugins?

Edit: Ah, solved it. You need to look in the logbook that goes with a particular user. Not very practical when compared to all of the other chat clients. But it will do, I guess.

All the ways to make Whatsapp work out from the official app will be block by them as they did before, for them the only way to use Whatsapp is using Whatsapp, when I started using Ubuntu Touch I did install some non-official app to use Whatsapp and them banned my phone number, if you really need Whatsapp use an Android phone.

Signal right runs on iOS and Android, hopefully the L5 in time.

I will never do such a thing!

Ah! That would be a good thing. I could convince at least a few people to start using Signal as an addition to WA.

1 Like

I do not need Whatsapp - I just need a viable way to stay in touch with family and friends (and quite a few others), that will not move away from that Orwellian piece of sh_t.

And it turns out to be a far more frustrating exercise than I imagined.

You could use Telegram there is an FOSS version of it, the server side is proprietary but if you are concerned about privacy you can always encrypt the chat, and is easy to install and use for people that comes from Whatsapp

Pidgin is just a frontend to libpurple. There are other libpurple frontends, so getting one that fits the L5 screen should be pretty easy. (I use ELIM, but I’m odd).

1 Like

yes and no, pidgin is a backend library (libpurple) and several frontends. It is true that you can use the library separately and independently form the rest of the codebase, but it doesn’t mean it is developed separately from pidgin.
And just by coincidence chatty (L5 messaging app) is also based on libpurple

1 Like

It wouldn’t have been super difficult to verify that claim before posting it… https://www.signal.org/download/ mentions downloads for iOS/Android

Correct, I use it on my iphone.

I am using Telegram on my Windows phone. Unfortunately, so far, people are not eager to start using it too.

True. I probably saw this earlier, and forgot about it again. None of the people I know who are on android or ios use it. So it’s an easy mistake to make.
Meanwhile, I have reached a point where I am somewhat tired of messing around with and reading up on all these half baked chat apps. After a while frustration sets in.

Pidgin is certainly the main project using libpurple, and accounts for a significant portion of both its user base and development, but I don’t really see the relevance here. BeaverTek said that when Pidgin gets the ability to display decently on the L5, we’ll have the ability to use all the third party plugins for it to use most chat services on the L5. Given that the frontend and backend are split, it’s only support for the backend that we need on the L5.

Since chatty uses libpurple, you can already use that list of plugins on the L5 (any of the protocol ones anyway, there are some specific to the Pidgin frontend). The only question is if chatty has a decent way to add plugins (or at least look for them in ~/.purple), or if you have to do some trickery to get them loaded.

1 Like

Maybe waiting to see what Chatty might bring is the best way to go. It is probably easier to learn to work Chatty than to try and convert dozens of people who don’t delve deeper than the consumer level.

What is the current status of the libpurple Whatsapp plugin? Seems that the entries on the github page are at least 5 years old.

Code-wise they are not, both live in and are part of the same repository (you cannot fork libpurple, you can fork pidgin). But yes, library could be used standalone.

It’s not that simple unfortunately. Libpurple has quite extensive and complex api of which chatty implements only subset. Most importantly chatty does not implement plugin manager api so all the necessary plugins (xmpp [+ lurch, http-upload, carbons], matrix, mm) are loaded statically in the code. It won’t be hard to hook in another plugin statically by simple code modification but because of subset stuff you may need to provide necessary initialisation manually (~/.purple/*.xml files)

2 Likes

Main developer left

In that ticket they mention this software yowsup and if you read the first paragraph of its readme:

WARNING

It seems that recently yowsup gets detected during registration resulting in an instant ban for your number right after registering with the code you receive by sms/voice. I’d strongly recommend to not attempt registration through yowsup until I look further into this. Follow the status of this here.

1 Like

Exactly.

How is the matrix-to-whatsapp-bridge faring, by the way?
Anyone in the forum who got that working?