How would I go about running Whatsapp on Librem5?

ANTI AMERICAN DEGENERATE COMPANIES . Better ?

It is degenerate alright. But what exactly is so anti-american about totally unregulated companies “putting a goddamn dollar sign on every fucking thing on this planet”?

2 Likes

So… What should we do with people who are aware of what’s going on with Facebook/Whasap and still don care about your fight? Should we force them to stop using Whasap and going to Signal? Please don’t be ridiculous. People are told and still don’t care? What now? Commit suicide? Pull the plug? Go ahead…

1 Like

I don’t get how you got that from what I wrote: all the ‘relations’ have sort of consented to be zucked by virtue of being signed up to Whatsapp at all

They signed up. They consented. I’m not trying to force them to do anything.

Don’t forget that lots of people signed up when Whatsapp was still an independent company. There were quite a few Whatsapp users that were not in Facebook or had stopped using it. Many people were actually pretty upset when Fuckerberg c.s. took over. But by then Whatsapp was already the most important social networking tool for many families, schools, companies, and the likes. Even if you wanted to stop using it, you couldn’t. Many users didn’t even try, because the damage by then had already been done anyway (i.e. Fb had already harvested their contact data).
So don’t simply blame the Whatsapp users: they have been duped.

4 Likes

“Sorry, Whatsapp doesn’t make a version for my phone, so I can’t use it. There’s this app called Signal/Librem Chat/etc. that we can use though”

People who know about Facebook’s data collection and still use Whatsapp are driven by convenience. Really, convenience is the only way most people will ever change messaging apps. If you make it clear that using Whatsapp is unreasonably inconvenient for you, but there’s a convenient alternative available to both of you, it should be pretty easy to at least get them to install something in parallel with Whatsapp.

2 Likes

That was exactly my reaction and I gave the options to my contacts (those out the imposible mission). After that some of my people started contacting me out of Whasap and that was a positive thing but WE did not put Whasap to sleep. I would but in a practical world it makes no sense for me. The other thing we need to bring to this interesting analysis of yours is that people tend to reject what is new for them and are afraid of change. And therefore, like you said, they opt for what’s “convenient” to them. The sad part of it is the abstract world they’re dealing with without having the tools to understand it and fight back.

It is the attitude behind this position of yours. It get us nowhere. If we care about the efect L5 could/may have on the planet and the human race then L5 needs to be competitive. Anbox should be a priority A1. If Purism doesn’t understand that too bad then.

1 Like

Anbox is already working, I believe, although it may not be quite “user friendly” to get installed.

However “Anbox working” does not imply “given Android app working”, which is why someone would need to test the Whatsapp app. If you have a Librem 5 on order, that someone might be you.

2 Likes

Not me. Purism should work on a marketing strategy to show people apps like Whasap do work on a L5 in a safe, controlled environment. (If it works really).

1 Like

it’s nonsense …

A compagny creating a secure and privacy focus device should make marketing strategies to let know people they can use the worst apps violating your data security and privacy ???

That’s absurd

Because there is a awful lot of works to do to make this fonctionnality user-friendly and working perfectly
And the final result will be much slower that any other product

No purism should not do that. It may be the worst thing to do
Letting know a VM with android could be a last resort possibility ? Why not, that what they did, it’s gnu/linux, it’s kind of obvious for an advanced user

If the main goal of purism was to sell quickly one-fit-for-all smartphones, the easiest and fastest way to do, would have been to put android on it, that’s not the path they chose.

Purism should focus on their main goal : security and privacy (and shipping my phone :stuck_out_tongue:)

13 Likes

i would say that a fair number are just too lazy to switch and unless they are forced to do so they probably won’t. when enough key people in their social ring can’t be reached through whatsapp (or any other proprietary non-e2ee-messaging-apps) then they will likely feel it’s time to get off their ass.

in the meantime folks are forced to maintain double-standards in order to maintain ‘backwards-compatibility’ with lazy/unaware people.

…because they are too convenient :stuck_out_tongue:

because they (whatsapp, etc.) come pre-installed on some mobile-terminals ?

You - are - a- genius

Stuck in a corner ? :man_superhero: ad personam !

:pray: I’m glad you’ve shown me better :pray:

No corners for me. I’m just old enough to recognize who to talk to in order to make my time valuable. You are a genius. Now I have no doubt about it. Corners…

Please stay civil. Otherwise posts will get deleted.

imho, purism should devote zero resources to compatibility with whatsapp. Whatsapp is owned by a toxic company that is very actively trying to destroy personal privacy, security, freedom–every ideal that purism has.

Purism is a small company, with relatively miniscule resources compared with the big tech companies, and facebook, a company with billions and billions at its disposal, actively tries to make whatsapp incompatible with linux devices like the librem 5.

As has already been mentioned here, to use the desktop client, a person must have the android or iphone app installed, turned on, and connected to the internet. Why? To make their spyware more effective. Please, reflect for a moment on how egregious this policy is. Also, some android apps use google’s SafetyNet feature in the google play store, which makes it impossible for most users to install such apps in virtual machines such as anbox. So, at any time, facebook could make whatsapp practically incompatible with anbox.

Why would purism devote any resources to supporting a toxic app that is actively trying to not be supported, and which could defeat such efforts at any time through SafetyNet? Of course they shouldn’t. If whatsapp wants to be supported, it would be easy enough for facebook to make a responsively-designed linux client.

For those trapped in the whatsapp ecosystem, I feel for you. I hope, for your benefit, that whatsapp works well on anbox or that facebook releases a responsive linux app. But we are all trying to get free from toxic technology in one way or another, and purism is doing groundbreaking work toward that goal. Diverting precious resources away from that groundbreaking work toward creating hacky compatibility with whatsapp would be a fool’s errand and a waste of those resources.

Just my two cents :wink:

9 Likes

This exactly. Spend your time and resources educating friends/family/users about what Facebook, Twitter, Google etc. are all actually doing.
Try to get one or two people every week to delete those apps permanently.

Personally I have no problem telling all my friends and family all the time that if you wanna reach me you need to message me on the Signal app.
If you send me a regular text it’ll be days or weeks until I respond, if at all, because I don’t use it or check it very often.
It’s a slow process but I would say 2/3 or better of all my friends and family members are on signal now.
For folks that I don’t exchange phone numbers with, the only option I offer is Wickr.

2 Likes