I bricked my new Librem 5 phone for fun!

I’m just kidding… All it needs is a reflash…

I’m new on the forum here, I didn’t exactly see an introductory thread so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. Anyway, I just got a new Librem5 phone out of the box I was so excited to plug it into external monitors & keyboards & get into terminal to start securing it I broke root somehow because it wont let me login now.

This thing is really super cool though. Amazing hardware, good job guys.

Anway I’m still rtfm, (Hence my alias) and all I’m really posting for at the moment is to say hi and introduce myself. I’ve been a bit of a linux nut for the last 25 years. I’ve got a pinephone but its not a good daily driver so the thought of a solid linux phone that works is really enticing. I’ve been mostly using arch based distro’s lately on my PC’s, but debian is great too I just have to get back to the habit of using apt-get instead of pacman.

I’m curious if anyone has any tips though, is there a way to setup an alpha numeric password for the login screen instead of just a 6 digit code? I’m trying to set this up as securely as I possibly can using luks encryption etc. etc. etc.

2 Likes

If you specifically want to introduce yourself, there is a forum category for that: General / Introductions
so a topic in there would be appropriate.

I am firmly of the opinion that you should always know how to start from scratch on any computer. So, go right ahead and learn how to do that.

Hint: the instructions for doing that mostly assume Debian family, so if you mostly use arch on your desktop / laptop, there may be a bit more work there (or else produce a Live Boot USB flash drive for a Debian family distro, for the times that you need to reflash your Librem 5, or back it up, or fix it up, or get in remotely … all from a host computer).

passwd
?

Just to be clear, I took login screen to mean the unlock screen where it wants the password for the purism account i.e. the default account that the phone GUI runs under.

This is different from the screen where it solicits the LUKS passphrase, which always assumes full printable ASCII i.e. is a fairly standard on-screen keyboard and can access all printable ASCII characters.

The choice of whether to use LUKS or not is made when you download the disk image to flash, and is made by using an argument to the flash script (--variant plain or --variant luks). However I believe that (if you have a current version of the script) it defaults to --variant luks so you are good to go with that.

3 Likes