I got a refund!

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

@drxray. I’m glad you got your refund. Though I am not asking for a refund for my L5, am hoping that with the money Purism’s getting from investors they actually pay you all back, so the problem goes away. The gripes of unsatisfied customers are a cheap thing to buy off in my opinion. I think to those with more perspective on the industry, it’s fairly clear that Purism isn’t running a scam, but is instead cash-strapped.

Edit: am I seeing things or has the investment page jumped like $5 million in the last 24 hours? Hopefully, a lot of refunds will be occurring soon!

7 Likes

To me, videos that are used to promote a product often include some fiction. Now I’m confused if it does or does not work with external monitors.

~s

Or just can’t acquire the needed components right now.

You wouldn’t say so if your rent for your apartment would cost 2-3 times less then L5. I also have friends in other countries like russia, where people could pay rent for 5-8 month…

For you this amount of money is may nothing, but for other backers and buyers it could be a high investment.

And you also forget the situation, when refund of L5 would be just one of multiple sources to get some money back. Who said that only one refund saves from getting homeless? I just hoped to open your mind for people who can be in situations where you may never will be…

1 Like

Two weeks ago I made a complete game jam game on my phone connected to a 1080p screen, keyboard and mouse. With a small fan nearby it didn’t even thermal throttle when compiling :wink:

So, to clear any confusion, it works and has worked for many months now - IIRC the first time it worked for me was almost exactly a year ago (and when it doesn’t work, usually it’s a matter of changing the USB-C adapter/hub as some can be capricious).

18 Likes

This forum is not for making fun of others. Please don’t do that.

5 Likes

no front but please use darkmode when coding. It makes the whole work more bearable if you have a lenghty session :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know what they say about opinions being passed off as fact right? :wink:

Thank you for most of the replies. Some replies were just trolls that lurk here all the time. Glad to hear the ext monitor is working with some hardware adapters. I have been asking for a refund longer than that has been working. Also the problems with VoLTE is still in question. The monitor cost retail about $200.00 dollars and their price is 5X that. I call that a ripoff plain and simple. Phone replacement due to technical advances is about 4 years and this phone would have been ready to replace before it was shipped. 5G is not even on the map. To 5G is hype anyway but if I lived in a big city it might be nice.

It’s funny cause I often use dark mode in a lot of applications and websites, but somehow it doesn’t seem right in a text editor to me. :smiley:

3 Likes

If you have a touchscreen monitor with a USB-C input, you don’t even need a hardware adapter.

See also topic regarding use with a NexDock. Initial Librem5/Nexdock360 impression

The Librem 5 software still needs some work though for these use cases.

However since you’re “out”, I would suppose that further discussion is pointless.

1 Like

So theoretically, every pre-order that occurred prior to the change in refund policy, could go through each buyer’s respective Attorneys General for their state, to force Purism to issue a refund on their unshipped Librem 5.

I ordered my L5 two years ago, which was before the change in refund policy. But I am still going to wait and see what happens for now.

At the rate that the American government is giving away free money to everyone these days, $600 (after inflation does its job), might only buy you a tank of gasoline by the time I get my phone. By then, Purism will have to quadruple or 10x the price of an L5 to new buyers to make any profit. Inflation alone could put purism out of business if Purism has to ship all of their backlog after paying future prices for the components, years from now, to ship all back-orders. Purism should start stockpiling everything they need to ship all pre-orders now, even if only to hedge against a 4x or 10x price increase.

3 Likes

Hah, I’m a pessimist on the economy but I don’t think it’ll get that bad. If it does we’ll have much bigger worries than this stuff.

Also for the record, I will never refund, ever. To hell with that. I am riding this to the end!

8 Likes

Same here.

11 Likes

Can you or someone please brief me on when changes in their refund policy occurred, and, if possible, the previous versions of the policy? Maybe saved in Web Archive somewhere?

Mostly I would like to know if any refund policy changes occurred in the last 8 weeks. Thanks in advance!

jumps onto you to be part of the adventure

Purism used to provide immediate refunds for cancelled orders:

If, for any reason, you want to cancel your order before it was shipped, we will issue a full refund.

In early March 2020, Purism added a new clause to the https://puri.sm/policies/ page to say that crowdfunded devices can not be refunded while they are in development:

If you want to cancel an order for products that are in the process of crowdfunding or pre-order, we will issue a full refund once the crowdfunding/pre-order of the product is completed and all pre-orders are shipped.

On 2021-01-28, Purism posted this on its FAQ:

Per our policy, we can not provide refund for products that are in the pre-order status.

When you pre-order a product, you fund its research and development, so your funds are locked into it. When we reach your pre-order in the shipping queue we will contact you to notify that the product you funded is ready for shipping. At that time, you can chose to not have it shipped and ask for other options.

The phrase “ask for other options” means that Purism is trying to get you to accept an in-kind refund, meaning accepting credit to buy another one of its products. At least that is what other people have reported.

If you ordered in the last 8 weeks, then you are governed by the latest iteration of the refund policy. The controversy is not that Purism changed its refund policy, but that it applied it retroactively.

I believe that Purism made these changes due to financial problems, so I don’t criticize the company for making them. Nonetheless, the company can’t apply changes retroactively to its refund policy, and I’m hoping that Purism will be able to pay all the refunds with this new financing round, that has so far raised $7.1M.

6 Likes

Although it is controversial that anyone ever thought that you can “fund research and development” and then back out (renege). It is possible that there was a legal screw-up in the original crowdfunding terms that didn’t make that point explicitly and that may have been costly for Purism (both through reneged orders and through reputational damage). I believe that the actual original crowdfunding terms may have been silent on the question of reneging.

If the original terms had said “you are funding development and you commit the funds irrevocably”, things would have been so much simpler.

I’m hoping that they can (soon) start shipping phones! (even if it’s only the USA Edition) Selling phones but not actually shipping phones doesn’t benefit anyone.

Paying refunds is of questionable benefit to anyone (except to the individual funder of course). It certainly doesn’t generate the 3% return necessary to meet the obligation to noteholders.

2 Likes

amosbatto, that’s a super nice report, thank you!

That won’t hold up in court because terms of contracts can’t be changed unilaterally. I am reasonably certain that anyone seriously unhappy with that provision could just file with small claims court and get refund with no contention. But the first thing to try would be a chargeback with the card issuing bank.

My order wasn’t a pre-order though. It was an order for a thing declared to be “In Stock” “Now Shipping!” with delivery expectation 6-8 weeks. This link would perhaps be relevant here.

I have been receiving those “Investment Opportunities” emails too (3 now). I am wondering if there is any way to verify that they indeed have raised that funding (as opposed to saying BS in order to encourage to join the pool of “investors”). If they are (still) lying about “In Stock” “Now Shipping!” 6-8 weeks delivery for L5USA, why couldn’t they lie about the raised millions?

2 Likes