I have a AMD gpu with firmware installed, I am trying to remove the firmware and can't get graphics to work

Hi,
When I remove the amdgpu firmware from /lib/firmware the xorg fails to start. The computer can run the screen on first install fine, but after adding the firmware from the linux kernal git site, and then removing the firmware I can’t get graphics to work. How can I get the open source driver to be re-enabled after removing the firmware. I forget how to spell noeavu I think it is what I need? The only problem with the open source software is only 1 of my 3 screens works with the open source version. Which I would like to try to fix. But right now no screen works when removing the firmware.

1 Like

That I can help you with: nouveau

(French for “new”.)

However I believe that nouveau is only for nVidia cards so may not be helpful here anyway.

2 Likes

I think the drivers I need are the mesa drivers for amd, but can’t get it to work.

1 Like

All AMDGPU it needed Mesa and LinuxGeneric-BLOBs to get it working. You can NOT get working AMD on Pure Gnu System.
There are Impure Operating System like Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Opensuse that may work for an Impure Gpu.

1 Like

I have a Nvidia 3090 card I can replace the Radeon 5700XT with but would prefer to stay with AMD. But if Nvidia is better I will switch. But am working on using pure GNU if possible. I still need to get wifi and bluetooth adapters that are pure GNU friendly.

1 Like

If you need a Fancy GnuGpu i really recommend Intel-ARC or Kestrel. I not sure if Intel Arc work on PureOS Crimson either way i recommend Crimson for all.

1 Like

Unlikely to be possible. You choose high-performance graphics + impurity. Or you choose reasonable-performance integrated graphics + purity. That decision is probably not something that someone else can make for you, as only you have an understanding of what your graphics performance needs are and what your privacy and security needs are.

I’m not saying that nVidia is better. However I do have more experience with nVidia. And I know that it can be a struggle to get it working with Linux and keep it working.

I suspect not. I suspect it requires a blob. So it is likely that it can be made to work with PureOS, but with a loss of purity. (Latest Intel Arc doesn’t even work with the latest Ubuntu release available, out-of-the-box.)

2 Likes

I have one intelARC A770 fully working in GNU OS on an old third generation of intel, despite Intel says that A770 requires a 10th+ generation Intel CPU. But whatever :cowboy_hat_face:
I not using PureOS because i do not like Gnome but slightly Phosh in my L5.

2 Likes

OK, I need to look more closely at the Intel Arc that I am (not) using. But we digress …

2 Likes

I thought this was the opposite of what I heard in the past. I heard that nVidia was normally unwilling to support libre drivers but that AMD GPUs were often better about it. Isn’t that why there are videos of Linus Torvalds on YouTube swearing at nVidia, but not at AMD?

[NOTE: This is not an endorsement of the YouTube service, which is probably evil.]

2 Likes

Did you have to provide the GuC firmware for the Arc GPU to work? What distribution are you running?

I don’t have an Arc but the last information I saw indicated that the GuC firmware blob is required for all Arcs, like most Alder Lake and all later integrated chipsets.

For example Intel Arc Graphics Running On Fully Open-Source Linux Driver - Phoronix : “The caveat that does exist is for the graphics micro-controller “GuC” firmware. Just as the past decade of Radeon GPUs has required binary microcode to be loaded at initialization time and so has the Nouveau driver since the GeForce GTX 900 “Maxwell” era required signed firmware, DG2/Alchemist does need the GuC microcode loaded by the open-source driver.”

Assuming this has not changed (I would be surprised if it had, but nothing is impossible), this would put Intel ARC at basically the same position as AMD - host drivers (kernel/mesa/etc.) are FLOSS, but the card requires proprietary firmware.

3 Likes

There are Not Guc/Huc firmware for 22nm-intel-ivy-bridge third-generation. However Guc just enable high performance for Arc from intel-coffeelake and later.

Gnu Trisquel 11.

1 Like