If I order the base model am I still able to fully upgrade ram and disk space over time?

I want the better specs but I’d like to build out my machine over time for budgetary reasons. If I order the LibRem 14 8gb will I be able to upgrade it all the way to 64gb eventually? Also if I order Sata disks will I be able to add nvme?

Yes, we try to avoid things like soldered RAM or hard-wired disks on our laptops, so you can remove the bottom of the case and replace RAM/disks on a Librem 14 just like with our other laptops. Among other reasons, this helps with the longevity of the device as you may find after a few years that you need extra RAM/disk.

You’ll just be responsible for ordering the correct RAM or disk that would be compatible with the laptop.

2 Likes

To be clear … that’s one or two M.2 SATA disks. You won’t be able to use a classic 2.5" SATA disk in the Librem 14 (unlike earlier Librem laptops, which did support the latter).

So in the Librem 14 you can have one or two M.2 disks in any combination of M.2 SATA and M.2 NVMe.

I suppose that if the budget is a bit tight right now, you could be better off starting with just one M.2 SATA disk and upgrading in the future as your budget and needs require. (I say this because if you order two M.2 SATA disks then in order to upgrade to include one M.2 NVMe disk in the future, you are going to have to take one M.2 SATA disk out and at best repurpose it in another computer, and at worst put it in a cupboard.)

the issue with m2 as repurposed for an external drive is that it requires a different addapter compared the 2.5 inch sata version … might be a lil’ more expensive …

1 Like

Yes, a different enclosure.

By repurpose, I was hoping that the poster could use the M.2 SATA disk internal to a different computer.

Greetings.
Just to be clear no matter what hard drive we order the laptop with, there are two M.2 slots compatible with NVMe SSD’s that we can upgrade to? Any NVMe SSD described as “M.2” will fit?
Thanks in advance. Have a stellar day.

yes since you asked about the Librem 14 specifically then YES - you can get two shipping candidates for the L14 - one with ONLY one slot compatible with m2 NVME SSD (larger battery covering the first slot) and the other candidate with a smaller battery that has two m2 slots BOTH compatible with 2x/4x m2 NVME SSDs (@x4 or @x2 electrical depending on what you have available)

if you have the NEWEST 980 pro from Samsung then that will run @ x4 pcie 3.0 NOT 4.0

1 Like

Thank you for your response.
I understand that Samsung has proprietary drivers for their drives. Does Purism replace these drivers, or is this an area still to be developed?
Thanks again. Have a lovely day.

Hello again.
As I was trying to order my L14 today, I did not see an option to have both m2 slots. How can I specify that I prefer both slots and a smaller battery without buying 2 hard drives?
Thank you.

It seems that a 3-cell battery is not yet available, or at least it will be available long after 4-cell battery, so if you populate only one M.2 storage, they default to 4-cell battery.
Some days ago I asked how to choose the battery in the shop but so far without a reply, so I guess you need to wait.
Anyway you always have two M.2 slots, but the second one will be covered by the larger battery, not covered by the smaller battery (when available).

1 Like

@ninjasmurf you should send an email to support@puri.sm to inquire about this or you can tell them straight away that you want the two m2 slots available on your L14 purchase.

edit : corrected email ! thx !

Thank you.
Will just correct that to support@puri.sm for those that find this thread later.

1 Like