Installation (RAM)

I want to install PureOS on an old computer that has 2GB of RAM memory, I read that the requirements are 1GB of RAM, but I am getting the message that 4GB is required for the install. Why is it forbidding me to install?

Thanks in Advance.

Where did you see the 1GB requirement?

Hi @Gavaudan. Here is the link, please scroll down https://pureos.net/download/

1 Like

Alright, fair enough. Is the installer telling you you need more RAM?

1 Like

Yes, it suggests a minimum of 4GB (RAM) and does not allow you to proceed with the installation. I can affirm than Live USB works fine with less RAM, I believe I have only 2GB.

@joao.azevedo any words of wisdom?

You need to firm that up. Since the live USB works, boot it and post or interpret the output from the free command.

To be honest, the requirements on the download page is wrong and needs to be corrected.

Thanks for pinging me, we will fix the text in the downloads page.

1 Like

No worries, this is all we ask (to anyone else, do not conflate my goodwill statement with anything off-topic or out of the context of this post).

1 Like

I guess the corollary to that then would be: if someone wants to give new life to an old computer that has less than 4 GB RAM then PureOS is not the right distro.

Let’s take the OP’s context as x86 (it was not stated?) because in the ARM world, less than 4 GB RAM should be fine. After all, the Librem 5 only has 3 GB(!), and I have Raspberry Pi devices with 1 GB or even 0.5 GB :open_mouth: and they work fine for what I ask of them.

I would not recommend GNOME 3 for a device with 1GB RAM. I would recommend an OS that provides a lighter Desktop Environment, like Debian with XFCE for example.

2 Likes

Hello all, firstly thanks for your time and the answers given. I am actualizing the thread and not replying to anyone specifically, but to everyone interested. This is my feedback about this initial problem. Free command confirms that my old computer HP Pavilion Entertainment PC dv6645ep has 2GB of RAM originally. PureOS is not the best option for an old PC, but I can affirm the Live USB runs very smoothly on it, which makes my interest in PureOS even greater. I confirm that installation asks for a minimum requirement of 4G of RAM. I can ask for some advice, this laptop is somehow old, anyway I know it is still upgradable, it has another slot for RAM to the maximum of 4GB, and it happens that officially may not be exactly 4GB, this is theoretically speaking. So I need help to see if the upgrade is worth it. I can state that this computer does not run the latest versions of Windows since it originally ran Windows Vista, later 7 and it was discontinued. Afterall, I prefer to avoid running Windows. So your opinions would be appreciated, so I can decide. I might say firstly I want to try PureOS on my other newer laptop, so I can decide for it. I am learning and studying the possibilities in the thread “Will the PureOS operating system work on my system? (newbie)”. All seems very good, I am very excited about PureOS, for all the reasons. I have been very busy and sorry for the late reply!

1 Like

Hmmm. It’s annoying, isn’t it? The installer really ought to give you the option of going ahead anyway - since you just want to verify the hardware support.

Consequently you will need to enumerate and verify hardware using only the live boot environment, which is not ideal.

1 Like

Yes @irvinewade, but I am considering a RAM upgrade, so do you think it is wise and worth it?

Yes, memory there is upgradeable to 8GB DDR3. Also, please be aware in advance that you will need to enter sudo amdconfig --initial after install what required and before restarting your system. If and when ready you might want to start here: Installation failed - please help, as I do hope for you that this related post/thread might help there indeed.

Another request of mine before you start anything, would be: with time please replace your original HDD to SSD as otherwise everything will very likely fail or rather usability might be questionable during daily usage (and while PureOS Live image USB Flash drive runs well there).

1 Like

Hi @joao.azevedo, what is in your opinion the lightweight distro more functional and close to “free software” so that I can give life to my old laptop? Is Debian XFCE is a good option?

The image you need is unofficial (but the best one you can get for your laptop). It is currently called firmware-11.3.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/. Should work over there (on top of 6GB of RAM) out-of-the-box.

What`s the point, if PureOS is really free software and can handle 4GB as it was updated on the page - my maximum of RAM available - and you are talking about 6GB on Debian? I am not much concerned with wi-fi working e.g., it is kind of optional to me. Would I have problems with other firmware?

If you are currently having 2GB of RAM and perhaps able to buy second expansion module it will be of size of 4GB? It was just my thought (as minimal requirement stays the same: 4GB of RAM for PureOS 10 and for Debian 11).

No if you install the recommended Debian image correctly, the one linked above: Debian 11+non-free. Therefore my popup recommendation here.

EDIT: Your “problem” on related laptop is called “AMD Radeon HD 6770M”, that requires non-free software, as already answered here (and needs to be understood):

1 Like

Hi @Quarnero. I will be dealing with two computers, ASUS Vivobook S14 S410U and HP Pavilion Entertainment PC dv6645ep (this old one I want to bring back to life, considering a RAM upgrade from 2GB to 4GB, the maximum the two slots available can handle), so 6GB would exceed this amount of RAM. About the firmware, maybe you are right and I also will give my feedback here. But, not only does a live USB work as a complete installation to another flash drive works pretty well, as I am trying PureOS this way just to see how it works. Now I will possibly try what I wanted to, using instead a new external SSD as people also gave me advice for that. After this I will try to boot on both computers (after the RAM upgrade) and see if I made both computers usable for PureOS, my final goal.

1 Like