Installing PureOS on Linx tablet

Hello everyone, I’m Dom, I’m new here. :slightly_smiling_face:

Recently purchased a Linx 1010b tablet and would love to know if it’s possible to install PureOS in it.

Here’s the Technical Specifications:

Intel Atom Quad Core Z3735F up to 1.83 GHz processor
Windows 10
2GB LPDDR3
10.1-inch 16:9 IPS HD (1280 x 800) with 10 point multi-touchscreen
Integrated Intel HD Graphics
32GB eMMC storage
Front 2 MP and rear 2 MP
Integrated 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0
1 x mini-HDMI, 1 x micro-USB, 1 x microSD slot
Built-in stereo speakers and microphone
7,900 mAh li-ion
610 grams in weight

I’ve been trying to install Linux Mint Mate on it, but having a difficult time.

“It uses the Bay Trail chipset, which has a history of causing frustration when trying to boot Linux, particularly because although it features a 64-bit processor, it uses an EFI system that only operates in 32-bit.” - Ian’s Blog

That and it seems like the current version of Mint (even Ubuntu) has a bug, bootable USBs comes out as “read only” devices which prevents me from putting a copy of Bootia32 in the Boot folder.

So, I recently just found out about PureOS which is exactly what I need and would like to put into the tablet, just wondering if 1) Is it compatible or will it work, 2) will I encounter the same issues as mentioned above?

Any help/advice/recommendations/suggestion would be helpful. Thank you for taking your time.

While I can’t say for certain, I expect there’s a high probabilty PureOS will not work. PureOS strictly limits the amount of proprietary code, which includes drivers. Unless free drivers for the hardware of that tablet already exist and are included in Debian, then I don’t think PureOS will work, especially since even Mint is having problems. Mint, Ubuntu and PureOS are both based on Debian, but Mint and Ubuntu are less restrictive about including proprietary drivers.

You can of course try to put PureOS on it, and if it doesn’t work, go back to trying Mint or Ubuntu, but my guess is that PureOS won’t work.

Thank you, appreciate it. Good to know about the restrictions of PureOS.

I guess, what I would really like to know is the installation part. I haven’t tried, but I’m guessing I have to create a bootable USB with PureOS in it? Will the USB going to be a read-only device? Do I have to put Bootia32 in it at all?

Again, thank you for your time :smiley:

Yes, if you want to try to install PureOS, you should make a bootable USB. I don’t think it will be read-only, though if it is, you might be able to just change the permissions and force it to be writeable. But I would say you almost certainly need Bootia32.

Appreciate it. Will try it later when I get out of work :grin:

1 Like

Was there ever any success on this?

1 Like