I’d like to use Slackware64 15.0 on my Librem 14. I’m currently using Slackware64 on a 2012 MacBook Pro, but the latest version is a bit slow on that old hardware, so I’d like to migrate to the Librem 14. I’m not too keen on PureOS as several of the programs I use are not terribly current in the repos and it’s quite different from Slackware in administration (I have more than 25 years of experience with Slackware and like its simplicity a lot, though it’s not perfect.)
My problem is installation. I try to install and the kernel and ram disk load fine, but then the display goes blank and the keyboard LEDs turn off. The machine is unresponsive. I’ve tried booting with the kms.s kernel (with video mode setting) but to no avail. I’m hoping someone has a solution or at least some good ideas on how to proceed.
I remember having an issue like that when I installed Arch. Turned out I needed to activate early KMS, otherwise the prompt for LUKS was not displaying (however blind typing the passphrase actually worked and I was able to pass the blank screen). Sorry I don’t have anything more tangible, but it may give you some clues on how to solve your problem
I have gnu trisquel 12 on my L14, but i am seriously considering installing Slackware on my L14 as i love Slackpkg than Apt, slackpkg is just the holy grail…
slackpkg is so fancy so pirate.
However i am a Gnu Debian Forever, so i not sure a.t.m. = (
You could use a combination of dsitrobox, flatpaks from flathub, brew, and appimages to get latest software.
It’s possible some of the stuff PureOS uses have not been up-streamed to the mainline kernel so even bleeding edge distros may have a few things not working perfectly.
I’d rather not use software outside of the repos and I do like having traditional programs rather than flatpaks or appimages. (I’m a graybeard.) I also like that Slackware is very fast compared to many other distributions, though I don’t know how fast PureOS is in comparison. PureOS is certainly fine on the Librem 5 and the Librem 13 and 14.
PureOS is basically a subset of Debian with apparmor installed by default and no proprietary firmware. i.e. Same speed as Debian.
IMO, though, there are not significant differences in the speed of various distros (although you can have different boot times and less memory intensive default applications).