Installing Slackware on Librem 14

I’d like to use Slackware64 15.0 on my Librem 14. I’m currently using Slackware64 on a 2012 MacBook Pro, but the latest version is a bit slow on that old hardware, so I’d like to migrate to the Librem 14. I’m not too keen on PureOS as several of the programs I use are not terribly current in the repos and it’s quite different from Slackware in administration (I have more than 25 years of experience with Slackware and like its simplicity a lot, though it’s not perfect.)

My problem is installation. I try to install and the kernel and ram disk load fine, but then the display goes blank and the keyboard LEDs turn off. The machine is unresponsive. I’ve tried booting with the kms.s kernel (with video mode setting) but to no avail. I’m hoping someone has a solution or at least some good ideas on how to proceed.

1 Like

I remember having an issue like that when I installed Arch. Turned out I needed to activate early KMS, otherwise the prompt for LUKS was not displaying (however blind typing the passphrase actually worked and I was able to pass the blank screen). Sorry I don’t have anything more tangible, but it may give you some clues on how to solve your problem

Thanks, primalmotion. I’m thinking about perhaps making a special installer with the right video drivers in the initrd. It’ll take some time…