Introducing the Librem 11

Yeah i do not have any issue with my Librem 14 either. Librem 14 is amazing!
Thank you :pray: Purism for make the best Gnu+Lnx laptop to date, however there is one laptop on the horizon that could replace the L14, i will not say name, but is coming.

Purism HKS & GNU :heart:

1 Like

The Librem 16, of course.

1 Like

One should not have any problem with the HAP bit on the low power chipsets of 10th generation and later. I think System76 has a Raptor Lake laptop with coreboot and the HAP bit set. System76's Coreboot Open Firmware Manages To Disable Intel ME For Raptor Lake - Phoronix (from the article it looks like System76’s HAP bit works for Alder Lake and possibly earlier chipsets) . All the Linux vendors are doing this because Intel is enabling this on their low power line. The speculation is that the reason Intel is doing this for the low power line is because this is the Chromebook space. Intel Prepares Raptor Lake Code For Coreboot - Phoronix .

COREBOOT

In addition to getting Intel’s Alder Lake hybrid processors ready for the Linux kernel and other areas of the operating system stack, Intel’s open-source engineers have continued their trend in recent weeks of upstreaming more Alder Lake work into Coreboot.

[
Edit:

Here’s a link non-Youtube link to the talk I linked in. System76 + Intel - A Production Laptop for Open Firmware Hacking - OSFC
]

2 Likes

Nice find, here is the relevant blog article from System76. All of their Intel 10th and 13th generation laptops have disabled Intel ME, but not any of their other generations in between, based on this firmware matrix.

Fascinating. I am also very confident in that line of reasoning too, since there has been very little economic incentive to work on Coreboot otherwise.

Perfect, thank you for that; I will review it on my own time.

I think that matrix is out of date. Everything they sell with coreboot can set the HAP bit. The issue is that on some setups, it breaks the suspend, so setting the HAP bit isn’t supported. See What is the Intel Management Engine? - System76 Support

For Open Firmware systems, the IME is typically disabled by default unless doing so would break functionality (such as suspend/resume). System76 maintains a list of machines that ship with Open Firmware in this article.

The matrix you had must be a bit old because they fixed the HAP bit + suspend in Alder Lake (12th gen) in June Major Updates for System76 Open Firmware! - System76 Blog . I guess it’s still an issue for the Tiger Lake (11th gen) … but, again, if you don’t want to suspend and are capable of turning off automatic system suspends, you can set the HAP bit yourself (one command; nvramtool) on the Tiger Lake systems.

We prefer to disable the Intel Management Engine wherever possible to reduce the amount of closed firmware running on System76 hardware. We’ve resolved a coreboot bug that allows the Intel ME (Management Engine) to once again be disabled.

This bug was a buffer overflow which caused coreboot firmware memory to be overwritten by the TPM measurement log, keeping the S3 suspend method from working properly. As a result of this, we had to switch from S3 to S0ix suspend, which required use of the Intel ME in order for OS-level drivers to function.

By fixing this bug, we were able to move back to S3 and re-disable the Intel ME on most platforms. (However, S3 suspend is not functional in the silicon we received for 11th Gen (Tiger Lake) U-class CPUs.) This fix was submitted upstream to coreboot as well.

Frankly, I was surprised by how many of the systems they have that run coreboot and openEC System76 Open Firmware Models - System76 Support

1 Like

Your link is old and see:

Like a plus System76 it working on a GPL x86 Laptop.
So yeah Purism need to put all the manpower now, to survive like a good strategy is stick with free software, why? is Purely and real Libertad!

2 Likes

To be honest, I don’t have strong confidence in Purism’s future because their reputation is really bad right now. They might have a customer base that trusts them for now but convincing potential new customers appears nearly impossible based on what people are saying in other areas. This L11 might be dead on arrival because it doesn’t offer enough competitive differences for the price.

A recent Linux news video briefly mentions the Librem 11: ANOTHER Linux tablet, HDR gaming & GNOME 45 RC: Linux & Open Source News - Invidious

1 Like

I am not concerned about the future of Purism; we will learn how the perception of the Librem 11 will be once it reaches the hands of consumers and reviewers.

4 Likes

Despite my comment, I am still considering a Librem 11. I want to believe in Purism’s stated mission. We will see how this and the upcoming Librem 16(?) will pan out.

1 Like

Honestly a glued back and soldered RAM is a deal breaker for me.

I guess I’m spoiled by Framework these days.

4 Likes

The Librem 16 was briefly mentioned in one of the investor emails a few months ago, so once there is more news regarding it, I will share the message body in a different thread.

I do not mind either, but the lack of hardware kill switches is my dealbreaker; hopefully the Librem 16 does not follow the same pattern.

1 Like

That review was skeptical about buying the Librem 11 vs. the Starlite V. I was curious, so I compared them:

1. Price. If one adds the keyboard and stylus and orders with 1TB “disk” to the Star Lite to try to make them more comparable, the prices are $806 vs $999.
  2. RAM. 16GB RAM vs. 8GB RAM
  3. Wifi. Wifi5 vs. Wifi6
  4. Battery Access. Back not glued on for StarLite vs. reports that the back is glued on the Librem 11 [ Someone on a comment about the StarLite said that this was indicated on the battery replacement instructions. I only found instructions for the Mk I,II, III, and IV Star Lite Mk II / III / IV - Complete Disassembly Guide - Star Labs and will assume it’s the same]. Edit: My comment might be premature since the earlier Starlite devices (Mk I, II, III, and IV) were laptops. The form factor is different; must wait for more info. The mock-ups don’t show screws like those present on the previous devices.]
  5. CPU. N200 vs N5100. That’s three generations different. In terms of benchmarks it’s not quite as much as would be implied by “3 generations”, but I’ll bet there is a difference in battery efficiency: https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_celeron_n5100-vs-intel_processor_n200 .
  6. coreboot base for both
  7. IME. I think with the recent alder lake coreboot (end-of-June-2023) that one can disable IME with the HAP bit. I don’t know if StarLabs has done this.
  8. Display. IPS vs AMOLED. Slight different resolution. Different aspect ratios.

It seems the Librem 11 wins on 3 and (possibly) 8. I think the StarLite wins on 1,2,4, & 5. 2 and 5 are very important to me … especially since the RAM is soldered. Both are kind of pricey IMO.

4 Likes

Since both options do not seem to be marketed towards developers only, I would add as comparison point the software it’s shipped with:

Starlabs gives you multiple options to choose from:

• Ubuntu LTS
  • elementary OS
  • Linux Mint Cinnamon
  • Manjaro Xfce
  • MX Linux Xfce
  • Zorin OS

Purism gives you only PureOS as option. However we can see on their preview image that it will use Phosh. So arguably that’s at least a shell designed for touch input.

That’s really something which threw me off when looking at the tablet from Starlabs here. They start with a much lower price when not adding a keyboard (because it seems optional). But then they ship desktop operating systems with that. I assume you can use the touch keyboard on GNOME (with Ubuntu for example) to login at least but I’m not sure how well support is on all other choices here.

On a tablet I would worry about support for rotating the screen depending on its orientation, gesture support and battery life. Also the Librem 11 is a lot lighter in terms of weight (only 560g) while the StarLite Mk V is about 900g.

It seems more like the one thing is a laptop you can rip its keyboard off but have to buy separate. The other thing seems to be a tablet. But I guess it depends on the user.

3 Likes

I had to compare them both too, but only to both expand and challenge your claims.

It is not clear what exact drive model the StarLite V uses, but it definitely uses PCIe 3.0, unlike the Librem 11, which uses the Kingston KC3000 with PCIe 4.0. Both of their CPUs top out at PCIe 3.0, so the Librem 11 is needlessly inflating its price; it could be economically cheaper for both Purism and its target demographic if it used PCIe 3.0 drives instead.

Specifically, 16 GB of LPDDR5 RAM @ 4800 MHz on the StarLite V vs. 8 GB of LPDDR4 RAM @ ? MHz on the Librem 11. The Intel N200 on the StarLite V is maxed out on both the RAM type and speed, whereas the Intel N5100 on the Librem 11 is only partially filled, at 8 GB out of 16 GB; clearly a missed opportunity for Purism.

Intel 9560 on the StarLite V vs. Intel AX201 on the Librem 11.

Hard to say right now due to lack of an updated disassembly guide for the StarLite V, but @francois-techene stated in the Matrix chat room (community/general) that the back of the Librem 11 is glued.

I agree, but software optimization between operating systems is an important factor to consider too.

Yes, the StarLite V uses edk II for its payload, whereas the Librem 11 uses Heads instead.

It looks like it is optional, based on this image on the StarLite V product page.

Specifically on the StarLite V:

• 12.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit 10-point touch display with IPS technology
  • 2880x1920 resolution at 276 pixels per inch
  • 3:2 aspect ratio

Against the Librem 11:

• 11.5″ AMOLED 2560×1600 @ 60Hz
  • ? PPI
  • 16:10 aspect ratio
2 Likes

Great details! I’m waiting to see some unboxing videos for the Starlite V.

The PPI would be approx 262 or 263.

2 Likes

I wish Purism would have gone with a display ratio closer to the golden ration, the current wide screen format is only useful for video viewing and not as much for productivity, such as reading documents, editing documents etc in Landscape Mode.

1 Like

It makes me wonder why someone would need more than 4Gb on a tablet ?
As I’m writing this I have gimp, libreoffice, firefox, and a movie and I’m under 2Gb of used RAM
I hardly go over this number on a normal use with my main computer, the big numbers comes when sounds/movies editing, or big games
I really don’t understand this race over who will provide the more RAM, more RAM = more power consumption, and higher cost
So I would prefer the overkill 8G, over the mega-overkill 16Gb

1 Like

Qubes OS: it has not been properly addressed with the Librem 11, so hopefully more information will come from Purism later.

For comparison, I use at least 24 GB of RAM on my Librem 14, and I have 64 GB total.

1 Like

These are tablets with keyboards and a stylus and one can attach external monitors. They are basically convertible between tablet → laptop → desktop. In fact the Starlite V is just the next in line from the Starlite IV which is a laptop. I would never consider buying a laptop with less than 16GB RAM.

I find that hard to believe unless this only counts a recent start with very little work-in-progress and I’m not sure it would represent ongoing usage.

I have firefox, emacs, libreoffice, and a pdf viewer as my main applications running. Of course in firefox I’ve got approximately 20 open tabs including a jupyter session. It also has two users logged in right now. Firefox, alone, is using 1.2GB (800MB for me + 400MB for the other user) of RES memory and almost 8GB of VIRT. My python3 jupyter session is a week old and it’s using 450MB or RES memory — sometimes it gets very big. Libreoffice (with very little work) is using 250MB RES. My pdfviewer is taking up 400MB RES. The total for everything is 6GB RES out of 16GB.

DDR5 RAM consumes about 20% less power than DD4 RAM. Also, laptop RAM is about 10% more efficient than desktop RAM. Thus an extra 8GB of DDR5 laptop RAM is about an extra 2.25 Watts of power when not in a power saving state. Of course it depends how often it’s in a power saving state, but the extra RAM might decrease battery life by up to 10%.

RAM cost is not huge these days. The issue is that since they solder the RAM in tablets, you can’t easily upgrade. That’s limiting the lifetime. In terms of RAM costs and the fact that RAM requirements are always increasing, perhaps an anecdote is in order: One of my early PC’s I paid an extra $200 to have 8MB of RAM (yes I said MB and not GB) instead of 4MB.

2 Likes

I think you are mistaken. They did!

16:9 (classic widescreen) … 1.7777…
16:10 (actual Librem 11) … 1.6
Golden ratio … 1.618 (approx.)

If that’s what you want, what’s to complain about?

1 Like