IPFS Port 4001 not accessible

I’m running an IPFS node on a librem mini. PureOS seems to block access to port 4001 from other boxes within the local network. I can telmet the port on localhost but not from another computer on the network. Running IPFS on OSX exposes the port to the local network with the same vanilla IPFS config.
What kind of security feature is blocking access to port 4001?

Martin

Is it listening on localhost or listening on a specific interface or listening on the ANY interface? You may want to post appropriate netstat output.

This is what I get from netstat

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:4001            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
tcp6       0      0 [::]:4001               [::]:*                  LISTEN     
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:4001            0.0.0.0:*                          
udp6       0      0 [::]:4001               [::]:*

Then it does sound as if a firewall is getting in the way.

It’s hard to debug with little information. What is the command you’re using and what is the error message?

I just start the IPFS-Desktop application. That application then launches the IPFS daemon. I’ve no idea why the behavior is different on PureOS than on OSX.

Never mind, it’s not that important now. I will not pursue it any further.

Thanks anyway.
Regards,
Martin

I found out that PureOs is configured to use firewalld as its default firewall. After I disabled the service, the port was accessable.

1 Like

That’s fine for fault isolation but you need to reconfigure the firewall to make the port accessible - so that you can continue to use a firewall. That is doubly so if you don’t intend to pursue IPFS any further. You disabled the firewall for “no reason”.