Is Byzantium testable in Boxes under Amber on a librem13?

The title of this post states my question. John

ā€œBoxesā€? I had to look it up, I guess you mean this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Boxes

Looks interesting.

Yes, thatā€™s the Gnome virtualization app. It worked fine for me testing Ubuntu 20.04 before I committed to using it on another one of my systems. jaa84

I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t. Did you try it out?

Should be. Just download the PureOS image from pureos.net, create a VM with that image, and then inside the VM, change /etc/apt/sources.list to move from Amber to Byzantium. Then a sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade should put the VM on Byzantium.

Thank you for the tip about changing the /etc/apt/sources list.
Iā€™ll post my experience. jaa84

I gave it a try this morning. I was using a PureOS image I downloaded back in March, so it might be older than whatā€™s available now. I did have to manually install some packages that were otherwise being kept back in order to resolve some dependency conflicts, but by the end of it, I got it all upgraded and have a functional, PureOS Byzantium VM in GNOME Boxes 3.38.1 via Flatpak.

1 Like

See this page: https://tracker.pureos.net/w/recommendations/upgrade_from_amber_to_byzantium./

For me, the instructions there worked fine. If I remember correctly there were some packages that were listed as ā€œkept backā€ but that was resolved by simply doing ā€œapt installā€ for those. (I think that can happen when packages have added dependencies on new packages, those new packages need to be installed as well and that happens when we do ā€œapt installā€ for the original package.)

1 Like

If Iā€™m thinking of the correct thing, if you do ā€œapt full-upgradeā€ it will go ahead and add new packages, whereas ā€œapt upgradeā€ will not.

1 Like

Here is a summary of my experience running byzantium in Boxes under an up-to-date version of amber on my librem13.

1. Downloaded the iso from the PureOS download page.
  2. Installed amber in a Boxes VM
  3. edited /etc/apt/sources.list to change all instances of ā€˜amberā€™ toā€™byzantiumā€™
  4. ran ā€˜sudo update && sudo upgradeā€™
  5. A LOT of software updates occurred!
    6.in the VM, /etc/os-release still shows ā€˜version_ID=9.0; CODE_NAME=amberā€™
  6. in the VM, ran the ā€˜Software and Updateā€™ tool and after some updates was asked if I wanted to change the home directory of user irc: said yes
  7. A torrent of software updates followed!
    9.restarted the VM, /etc/os-release now shows ā€˜version_ID=10.0 and CODE_NAME=byzantiumā€™
  8. am now exploring what differences are apparent to me as user.
2 Likes

I think the main changes you will notice is newer versions of all the default, GNOME-related software, as well as just having access to newer versions of most software in the repos.

Yes., that is perfectly possible.

ironically the KDE .iso version of Byzantium from > https://downloads.pureos.net/byzantium/
is more recent than the GNOME one :wink:

still not human-readable @joao.azevedo :stuck_out_tongue: