Is Librem Key a security key?

I was hoping to use my Librem Key for 2FA as a security key. Is it suitable for that?

Specifically, I am trying to use it with GitHub. https://docs.github.com/en/github/authenticating-to-github/securing-your-account-with-two-factor-authentication-2fa/configuring-two-factor-authentication#configuring-two-factor-authentication-using-a-security-key

When I try to add a security key with GitHub:

• Firefox 90.0.2: Popup with a cancel button only. Times out.
  • Chromium 90.0.4430.212: “Insert your security key and touch it”. Times out.

I guess I am supposed to press a button or something on the security key, but the Librem Key has nothing like it?

Related (sadly, with no response):

2 Likes

It should be suitable for that.

I believe you need some driver to ‘press the button’ for you. The Librem Key is based on the Nitrokey, maybe try their app?

1 Like

That would be interesting, please report back if you could make it work =)!

2 Likes

I would also be interested in having a Librem Key that supports U2F. Yubikey might be the leader here right now for these security keys but I don’t think it’s supported to backup the keys on them.

Sounds like something Librem Key would do right…

The Librem Key is based on the Nitrokey Pro. Only the Nitrokey 3 and FIDO2 supports U2F/FIDO2. When I asked Purism support about a year ago about whether or not they will release a new Librem Key based on the Nitrokey 3, they said they did not have plans for it.