Issues with WiFi on Librem 13

Hey there!
I’ve got some issues with my Librem’s WiFi. Sporadically, when I try to use the Internet, the connection becomes unbearably slow and unusable. And then randomly after a few minutes it goes back to normal and I can use the Internet again. Here you can see a Screenshot of me trying to load the website puri.sm;

As you can see my connection is very poor, and I am siitting right next to my router, so that’s not the Issue. I’ve also experienced this in every other WiFi Network I’ve tried using.

Laptop: Librem Purism V2
Kernel: (uname -a Output): 4.6.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.6.4-1kali1 (2016-07-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I really hope that there is a solution to this problem.
Thanks in Advance!

1 Like

I got the same/similar problem with my Librem 13v2 here. There is another thread on here that might be interesting for you: Terrible wifi performance with librem13v2

I did open my Purism and checked the antennas. Connectors were okay, but the cables are curving around on the board before being routed into the LCD part. Due to being fixed with tape on the board on several points they were getting some stress when opening the LCD, because the movement is pulling on the cables. I loosened some of the tapes to relieve the stress but I don’t think this changed much.

What I understood is that since the aluminum backs are shielding the antennas the only area where they can actually receive well is along the hinge below the LCD. So far I can only assume that this is the reason why connection quality drops so fast with growing distance from the router and when pointing the laptop into another direction. If anyone got other ideas I’d welcome them.

2 Likes