Joplin - An open source note taking and to-do application with synchronisation capabilities

Joplin is a free, open source note taking and to-do application, which can handle a large number of notes organised into notebooks. The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged and modified either from the applications directly or from your own text editor. The notes are in Markdown format.

Notes exported from Evernote via .enex files can be imported into Joplin, including the formatted content (which is converted to Markdown), resources (images, attachments, etc.) and complete metadata (geolocation, updated time, created time, etc.). Plain Markdown files can also be imported.

The notes can be synchronised with various cloud services including Nextcloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, WebDAV or the file system (for example with a network directory). When synchronising the notes, notebooks, tags and other metadata are saved to plain text files which can be easily inspected, backed up and moved around.

https://joplinapp.org/

3 Likes

How much money did you make off that post?

I posted the information on the app because I actually thought it would be a great addition to the Librem 5 and thought others would like to give it a look. So to answer you question, I made Absolute Zero money from this post, junior.

5 Likes

How were you able to install on Pure OS/Librem? I have not had any success installing Joplin. I have downloaded via the terminal installation instructions:

wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/laurent22/joplin/master/Joplin_install_and_update.sh | bash

I know Pure OS lacks proprietary dependencies and this will effect how most software is installed.

Please help clarify what i am doing wrong.

1 Like

The Android Joplin app is quite good.
The desktop app is Electron. I haven’t seen how well Electron apps work on the L5 yet. Maybe ill give it a try in the VM.
If the install script that @elchoch88 mentioned doesn’t work, maybe we need to build it from source?

Either way, it would be great if there were a native GTK version for this app.

I’m not 100% sure. But aren’t electron apps still depend on X11 or Xwayland and PureOs on L5 is wayland only? (or you at least have to install XWayland manually)

I got Joplin working in a Librem 5 VM.

I followed instructions from https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/blob/master/BUILD.md to build the application.
Some other things I needed to do to get the app running:

sudo apt install libxss1
sudo chown root:root /home/purism/Downloads/joplin/ElectronClient/app/dist/linux-unpacked/chrome-sandbox
sudo chmod 4755 /home/purism/Downloads/joplin/ElectronClient/app/dist/linux-unpacked/chrome-sandbox

Created an app shortcut at /usr/share/applications/joplin.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Joplin
Comment=Joplin is a free, open source note taking and to-do application
Exec=/home/purism/Downloads/joplin/ElectronClient/app/dist/linux-unpacked/joplin
Icon=/home/purism/Downloads/joplin/ElectronClient/app/dist/.icon-set/icon_48x48.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=

Not the best install location but whatever, this is just to try it out.

Here are some screenshots of it running:

It works, but clearly this isn’t a built for mobile. I’m able to click and drag the window around and it doesn’t take up the full screen.
The app itself runs perfectly fine. Obviously, my VM is not the actual phone, but it’s something. The Usage app says it’s using ~130Mb of RAM.

Does anyone know what I might to do build Electron/Chromium to respect Phosh’s windowing?

2 Likes

Looks like if you cycled the editor layout it would be a bit more usable (albeit without seeing the results of your edits until you toggle to that view) I’ve been very happy with Joplin and personally do most of my edits on PC so if I can navigate to a note then view it that’s a success for me.

Thank you for what you’ve done here.

@spacemanspiffy
Even though this was not made for moble, it’s very encouraging. I appreciate the effort here.
I look forward to your further progress with Joplin and anyone else who may contribute to this.
I really do think is a potential option. Thanks again. :sunglasses: